CHAPTER 5

“Come on, Rishi, don’t ignore the situation of having a guy on your apartment and you’re alone together. Stop putting yourself in danger like this.” - Emette

“How was the tennis club, Emette?” Crane Stedford, the English Teacher who’s been helping him all of the time, approached him as he was sorting some minor documents on his own table after a good rest with tea earlier.

“They are good – especially the girls.” Emette didn’t mean to praise the girl he’s been having an eye on but in general, the girls’ team is a little stronger than the boys’.

It was seriously hard to concentrate on the ball while observing the others and avoiding unnecessary thoughts concerning his opponent at the same time. But good thing he managed.

“That’s good to hear. By the way, Mr. Stane called for you at the Laboratory for something. Think you can spare some time?”

“Sure. I’ll be there once these are done. It’ll take a minute or two.”

Emette already has an idea on what will be asked of him. Just the Experiment Club, wanting some comments on their project or something. Since it was Denis Stane, their teacher in-charge, who called for him, it would be a heavy favor. Well, it didn’t matter. It could help him take off his mind from the girl he has his eyes on for a few hours.

Emette wanted to punch Denis right now. The main reason would be the girl the English teacher’s currently talking to when he entered the Laboratory. And when he thought he had the chance to divert his mind and his plan went into shambles just by seeing one person.

“Ah! Emette! Thank you for coming!” Denis greeted the man who’s already wearing a pissed-off face. “Sorry but we actually have a problem so I called you and another one whom I know who can help. I hope you don’t mind.”

Although pissed, his mood changed in an instant knowing he can still spend more time with Rishi. ‘So much for saying avoiding the subject.’ He let himself in the Laboratory before saying anything. “Sure. Fill me in.”

“Well, you see, there were some data that needs some sorting and we were almost finished but because our system shut down suddenly, we lost most of the sorted data. So I’m gathering the help that I need since my members alone don’t know much when it comes to the sorting method.” Denis explained as he followed Emette, who just took a seat next to Rishi, with his eyes.

“You shouldn’t have asked Ms. Domnast in this. She has a tournament this week. Plus, isn’t this your fault for not backing-up your data and being careless with the system?” Emette scolded Denis while scratching his head.

“It is fine.” This time, Rishi spoke that made Emette to turn to her. “Grace told me to not push myself with training now so I am fine. Plus they need our help. All these documents are needed tomorrow too and Mr. Stane won’t be done by then if left alone.”

“Tomorrow?!” Emette exclaimed, confirming he heard her right. “Sorting out randomized data with over 10 variations each in one night?” He then faced Denis who’s having an apologetic look. “You have got to be kidding me.”

“But we really do need them by tomorrow.” Denis started to plead to the man. “My members are already busy with the preparation for tomorrow’s exhibit. Plus our devices need some tending and observation as well. You’re the only ones I know who can help without any problems.”

It’s true that both Emette and Rishi are the perfect people to call for when it turn into something complicated such as this. Emette earned being a Chemistry teacher for an obvious reason and Chemistry and other branches of Science is Rishi’s strongest subjects. No one seems to come close to her grades when we talk about molecular data, theories, and biological observation.