CHAPTER 14

“Does that mean you can’t win over a guy?” He teased knowing that Rishi is a girl who loves challenging herself and refuses to lose to anyone. Even to a guy. Even if his name is Emette.

Her parents visit her if she has matches so it has been a long good three months since they last saw each other. Her father works as a freelance journalist and travels most of the time. Her mother stays outside the country doing her research with government-funded laboratories. Well, Rishi’s family is also that one of a success. Her older brother is the same. He’s a lawyer and is five years older than her.

“How were your matches today?” Her father, Rod Domnast, asked as they started to walk away from the airport’s arrival gate to get a taxi.

“Fair weather and the others had fun too.”

“That’s good to hear.” This time, it was her mother, Kerchen Mae Domnast. “Are you eating properly?” And she’s the same worry-wart as ever.

“I’m no longer a kid, mom. I cook my own food. Don’t worry.”

“It’s just that we’ve been leaving you alone ever since your brother had gotten his degree. Of course, we can’t help but worry.”

“I’m fine.” She said as she tried to hitch a taxi to their direction. “Everyone is so kind to me too. So if I’m in trouble, I have every help I need.”

A taxi came over to their direction and Rishi entered the rear seat with her mother while her father took the seat in front. Her mother closed the door when they have already settled and checked if there’s anything that was left behind.

“Don’t be so dependent on others, Rishi.” Kerchen told her daughter.

“I’m not, of course.”

Rishi never really depended onto anyone. Not even to her parents. But she would consult them if she encounters a problem and they give her allowances more than enough. But that’s that. Any other things that are going on in her life, she had never talked about it with them. The same really goes for them. They don’t really talk anything about their work to her – well, it’s not like she’ll be interested in them anyway so she kept on ignoring that side of their family.

They arrived at Rishi’s apartment 30 minutes later. They had a simple dinner and went to an early bed.

Second day of the tournament, Rishi had to be at the venue before 9:00 AM – the starting time for her third match.

When she arrived, she spotted Emette immediately by the gate. Who wouldn’t? The guy stands out too much from the crowd especially today that he’s not in his usual polo and tie that he often wears at school. He looks really stunning in his three-forth white sleeves. The line in his neck’s too wide that she could see his bulky muscles in his chest. Those chest that are more reliable than a wall when you’re in trouble. Heat rose up to her head when bits of memories when they were in bed came to mind. This is not really the time to be thinking about stuff like these. So she distracted herself.

Along his left was Marcel and when you look at the two together, they give out so much vibe that takes people’s attention so easily. The fashion? Aura? She didn’t know.

“Hello Rishi.” A smiling Marcel greeted her when they were already in a chat-close distance. “It’s a fine weather for a good match.”

“That’s true.” Timidly, her lips moved.

“Marcel Romerole?” Kerchen’s voice exclaimed from behind and shove her daughter’s figure to meet the ex-surgeon.

“Chenny?” Marcel’s face lit up.