CHAPTER 29

He stopped and looked over her through his shoulder. “Come on.” And he trusted his hands on his pockets.

Days passed and their 90-day contract was lessened by nine days and yet Emette hadn’t had the chance to talk to Rishi except for a few exchanges. He’s getting impatient especially when she’s too obvious in avoiding him. He hasn’t even done anything and she’s already ignoring him. Good thing she doesn’t let any project-related questions by so he used them to his advantage.

“Rishi, I’d like a report with Set-up C’s compatibility rate with 65% Photon Equip.” He started when she get passed him with great timing. Not realizing that he’s sounding being familiar with her by calling her first-name basis. But the way her name exits his mouth was so natural that he didn’t bother correcting himself.

Rishi stopped at her name. Her first name is seldom called out during projects so she almost responds to her last name – which she often mistaken when other Whites address her mother on the same room. Even her mother only calls her a few times by name too. But she turned right away and she doubts it was the name that made her. She was fully aware that she knows the voice too well to ignore it. And even if she did, her body would just not cooperate with her.

She unconsciously caught his eyes but she blinked to distract herself from those deep auburn circles that always drag her to deepest pleasure that they once did. “Set-up C with 65?” She echoed and took her multi-note out from stand-by to check. “Precision of Effect was rated C. Chance of failure was 97%.” She answered without looking at him.

“Thanks. When will Set-up D be ready?” Emette followed through.

“For about 65 minutes.” Rishi then switched her device back to stand-by mode and finally earned enough courage to face him. But his eyes were already set on his multi-note, encoding some stuff. “By the way, Chase said you should send him the 80% Photon Equip plan before the end of the day.”

“Got it.” Emette said and neither one of them moved from where they were.

Rishi took the chance to study the features of the new Emette in front of her. He still topped her height. Her two-inch heels didn’t help that much to the difference. The bags under his eyes became prominent. He must be staying up all night which is something normal for being a White. But she can’t help see his eye bags as one of his assets. Emette – in a lab gown, a tie, messy hair, a troubled face while looking at the records, his whole body near her – everything. It was as if time just played a little game between them. But it wasn’t a game. She was hurt. But she couldn’t find any reasons to blame the man.

“Rishi?” Emette’s voice pulled her back to reality. “Were you listening?” He asked. Now, his eyes were on hers.

Rishi is always amazed on how his eyes can draw her so close to him.

“I… I was. No, I wasn’t.” She blushed. How can she think of lying when she’s at work? Her single lie could ruin the whole project. But she can’t help thinking that Emette’s presence is as distracting as ever.

“Are you okay? You’re not feeling well?” Emette’s worry became apparent in his voice that shaken her limbs.

‘God no.’ Rishi held her conscious mind. And a gulp. “No worries. I’m fine. Just not concentrating enough. You were saying?”

Emette’s brows just crossed on her reaction but took her answer anyway. He doubts she’ll be open towards him with things as they are and how clearly she doesn’t want to talk to him. “I’ll be working overtime at the lab today so when you see Richard and Stella later, tell them that I’ll be sending them Set-up A and B’s redesigned plan later so they should check.”