CHAPTER 24

Thanks for the 1k views guys!

“You’re taking your child’s life away from her, Chenny.” - Marcel

“What? Mom, I can’t leave.” Rishi’s finally lifted her gaze and faced her mother.

Kerchen met her daughter’s eyes as well. “And why can’t you?”

“I want to be here. I want to be with Emette, mom. I love him.”

“That’s not love, Rishi. You’re just confused with your admiration towards him. Remember? You told us you respected him as a teacher, as a tennis player.”

“How can you say that? I know the difference between respect and love. Doesn’t wanting to be with him, all the time, love?”

Kerchen knew that what her daughter feels is something genuine. But if she gets carried away by her feelings too, things will just end up even more complicated as they are. They have a relationship that’s not healthy for Rishi to live with. Even if one says there’s only two more years to wait. Even if everyone says that what the two of them has is really something.

“Then how can you say that you really do? You haven’t really fallen in love yet. How can you tell the difference?” Kerchen pushed, knowing Rishi will not have anything to say to that. Emette might have been the first guy she ever fell with.

Rishi was shut. She knew her mother is a scientist and it will be hard to make her understand her feelings. But she didn’t want to be away from Emette. To be separated from him is the only thing she doesn’t want to have in the world. More tears flowed from her eyes while her insides are screaming ‘No.’ She can hear her heart, tearing. Everything crumbling.

“Mrs. Domnast, if we could just talk things over…”

“We are talking things over.” Kerchen cut Emette’s lines. Now, her anger is back. “And I’m telling you to break up. Rishi’s going to transfer and you’re not allowed to see or get in touch with her in any form.”

“Mom, no!” Rishi exclaimed and dropped the tray after hearing the word ‘transfer’. She clung to her mother, begging. She can’t leave. She can’t take being away from Emette. She’ll break. She remembered their conversation yesterday. She wanted to be with him.

“Yes, Rishi.” She caressed her daughter’s face. “It was our fault for leaving you on your own. But we’re here now. We’ll make things right.”

Rishi showed surprise at her mother’s words. “You’re not making things right, mom. You’re making it worse!” She started stomping around in circles, containing her irritation on what she just heard. She faced her mother once again. “I don’t know how I’ll live without Emette. I can’t.” She tried to let all of her thoughts out. She has to or she’ll come with her mother to Alaska tomorrow.

“You will learn, honey. I know what I’m doing and this is all for you.”

“For me? But I don’t want this, mom.”

Kerchen avoided her statement. If she gets caught up in Rishi’s debates concerning the topic, this conversation will never end. She switched her attention to the Romeroles. “Emette, I should let you know that I respect your mother from the bottom of my heart so I hope you’d do the same. If I say she’ll transfer, she will.  If I say you can’t see her, I’ll make it so. Now, I’d like you to leave.”

“No, please, Mrs. Domnast.” Emette suddenly stood. “If it’s a break up, I’ll do it. If I’m not allowed to contact her, I won’t. Just… don’t make her transfer.”