CHAPTER 36

“No, you’re to stay here. I don’t want you to see how your daughter gets when she’s angry.” - Rishi

Rishi gathered her energy and went into a run towards the hall. She turned her head left and right, trying to extract a face from the crowd. When she caught sight of Kerchen, she headed to her mother’s direction immediately.

“Sorry, gentlemen, may I have a word with my mother?” She excused from the group of Whites that gathered around for a talk.

She grabbed her mother’s hand and urged her to a corner.

“What’s wrong, Rishi?” Kerchen, curiosity in her face, asked.

“Mom, Emette left for Thailand.”

Kerchen’s face was almost in a mix of shock and rage.

“What? Doesn’t he know that we still have a final presentation next week?” the older woman tried to lower her angry voice, not to disturb the party.

“He does but it sounded like an emergency.”

Kerchen exhaled to let out her fury. If it’s an emergency, she doesn’t really have any power to stop any of the members from retracting from the contract. Same with Emette. Even though she made sure he stays ‘til the end of the contract with working with him for their project implementation for her daughter but it still doesn’t change the fact that he can still get out of it.

She studies her daughter’s face. Rishi’s still having red eyes. She must have cried while he told her he’s leaving. Again. This is like what happened ten years ago; it’s just today, Kerchen had nothing to do with it.

But instead of sadness and being lost, Kerchen only saw determination in her daughter’s eyes. She doesn’t know what happened between them while they were out of her sight but she’s sure her daughter won’t stand still and do nothing.

“And you’re okay with this?” She still asked the question with the obvious answer.

“Of course not!” Rishi exclaimed. “He couldn’t tell me anything since he doesn’t want me in this but I insist. If he won’t tell me, I’ll make Arch tell me. That’s why I need your help. You’re the only one I know who have access to Arch’s database.”

“I- I see…” Kerchen was shocked by how much force her daughter put into her words. It only meant she’s serious, that even her words won’t go through her anymore. When she thought about it, none of her words ever did. Of course her daughter’s been following her instructions every since that day but how sure was she that her words always reached Rishi? She wasn’t. She only realized that now.

Rishi has something that made her different from Kerchen. That resolve was something Kerchen didn’t know was present in Rishi and that’s another factor that failed her as a mother.

Kerchen tried to stop her thoughts and concentrate more on the issue right at hand. She took her multi-note and dialed some numbers. It rang a couple of times then someone answered.

“Yes?”

“Loraine, its Kerchen. I want you to do a profile look up on Professor Emette Romerole and check any records relating to Thailand. Any address is very much welcome.” Kerchen immediately said, as if in a hurry, into a panic. Isn’t supposed to be the one feeling like that should be her daughter? She’s even more surprised to see a composed Rishi in front of her.

“Is this an emergency?” The static voice asked.

“Level A. My name’s on it.”

“A minute.”