CHAPTER 35

OMG GUYS! THANKS FOR THE 2K READS!

“I’d love to stay.” He finally said while looking at her fragile hand. The hand that was holding a tennis racket before and now holds different kinds of documents.

“What?” Emette yelled on the mouth piece of his intra-phone.

“I told you. I’m heading to the party now with Ashley.” Chris from the other line repeated.

“You traitor.” Emette cursed.

“Who was it that refused to invite someone to the party? I told you, if you want to go there with someone, you need to invite them.”

“I thought you were loyal to your wife yet you’re having Ashley with you.”

“Just so because I’m someone’s partner for some party, that doesn’t mean I betrayed my wife. It’s just you, being an asshole again.”

Emette’s lips curved to a small smile whenever he hears Chris curses at him. He is surely going to miss the man and his mouth. But that emotional brotherhood is for later. His problem right now is how to show his face to tonight’s party. Alone.

“Anyway, Emette, it’s not like you’ll be lost going there on your own. You’re a big kid now.” Chris teased.

“Stop teasing me.”

Chris’ laugh was heard over the phone. He might have been enjoying Emette’s company too much too. “But seriously, good luck on your mission tonight. Me and Ash are cheering behind.”

Emette rolled his eyes and ended the call. Now, he has to swallow that hesitation and go to the party.

He took the last piece of his tux and headed out of his apartment.

Arch’s Ballroom’s quite a distance from his place but he decided to walk his way anyway. They said the party will begin at seven so he still has at least thirty minutes to gather some confidence through the long walk. And he didn’t regret it. He gets to see Arch in its night view in full lights before the project ends.

‘Another week.’ He can only say in his mind while appreciating the view on every corners of Arch. He also wonders if he’ll get a chance to return to this amazing research facility in the future. His heart pinched while thinking about his wishes and wants. But it wasn’t Arch that he wants to return to but to the girl he loves deeply. It wasn’t to see Arch again but it was to be with Rishi’s side, every single day of his life.

Emette inhaled a couple of times before pushing the door to the hall. And to his surprise, Arch just outdid itself with the party.

There are almost no seats in the room except for some; they were all rounded to some corners as rest areas. The party will only last for three hours so standing throughout is not a problem. The long tables placed on the sides are filled with a lot of pastries and different kinds of sandwiches and dishes from other countries. The huge windows along the walls are covered with heavy and long cloths that printed loyalty.  The lights are bright that lit every corners of the room. There’s also a group of string musicians and a pianist in one corner, creating the suitable music for the mood.

This could have been the grandest party he had ever attended. You can’t even tell that everyone inside the room carries a scientist or engineer’s license at all with the way they are all dressed. Tux in different designs and some wore their own country’s traditional clothes. It made the room filled with a strong sense of manliness and a lot of professionalism to those research-centered faces. Dresses and heels totally unleashed everyone’s glamour that filled the room with different colors. Emette can’t help but to be amazed that places like Arch, where everything was always white can be this colorful. And who said that this was a victory part and a small one?