CHAPTER 26

‘No way.’ He started convincing himself that what he’s hoping will not happen. Hoping? He was hoping for something?

“Phidel Project will be using three buildings.” Loraine started when they were already a small distance from his apartment building. “We’ll be checking Apollo first, then Alpha. Lastly will be Ardent but for the last one, we can only visit after dinner since it’s the only timeslot available for observation today.”

Emette raised a questioning brow at his companion. “All of the buildings names start with A?”

“Great observation.” Loraine smiled.

The woman wore a stern face every since she had greeted him at the main entrance earlier, as if she was trained well in a different environment. Usually, people in their late 30’s wouldn’t be acting like her. Emette came to wonder if her family is ever worried that she has this kind of work. But right now, she’s smiling. That couldn’t be praise to his observation, right?

It was only a matter of time when they’ve reached Apollo. Just as Loraine addressed the scientists, they are all ‘Whites’, alright. But the sight of all the whites in Emette’s eyes is quite refreshing. He hadn’t seen this sight since his last day taking up Advanced Science and Technology five years ago. And it’s like they are out of place. Seeing how Loraine wears an all-black suit that matches Jerald’s as a body guard, she stands out even more than he is. But the Whites seemed too busy to even bat an eye on them.

The first floor consists of a bunch of rooms for documentation and file storage so they had a quick round through them. They went to the second floor and he’s seeing a lot of doors. Everything here in Arch, since he arrived, is really organized. He couldn’t help being in awe. ‘You’re just in one building.’ He reminded himself that there are still two more buildings to see.

“This is Main 18.” Loraine introduced the huge hall while checking on her portable device that they call a multi-note. So aside from the notebook, she uses a high-technology, rechargeable, computer-like device that’s probably connected to Arch’s database. “This is where most of the work and experiments are being done and it covers almost the entire second floor. Don’t worry. There are enough tables and computers inside, a coffee room for breaks and a toilet.”

“Handy.” He could only say.

The third floor consists of meeting halls: one grand hall for every member to gather and some small rooms for team meetings. The project is being done by a lot of scientists so grouping them into smaller numbers based on their work makes things easier. He’s aware that they will be divided into groups tomorrow, the official start of the project.

The fourth floor primarily focuses on resources – a library, computers and some eating places. Apollo was supposed to be a three-floor building but since it is far from Arch’s main library, they decided to add another floor for resources.

“Do all buildings have the same structure?” Emette threw a question for the first time ever since the guide started while eating his crepe.

“Not all. Apollo, Alpha and Ardent have different structures since they are always used in one project. There’s really no meaning if we were to use buildings with the same structure just for a project. It’ll cause problems.”

Now he felt stupid. Of course, it is.

Unlike Apollo, Alpha and Ardent focused more on development. Alpha gets most of the engineers and innovative scientists to create needed machines and tools for the experiments. Ardent’s more on storage and extra rooms for free use. The building handles most of the excess and failed experiments as the project progress.