CHAPTER 33

“There it is.” Chris started whispering to his seatmate. “The sexy goddess side of our youngest.”

Kerchen woke up from her nap due to the rattling at her door. She sat on her bed and looked ahead. She saw her daughter.

“Rishi? What’s wrong?”

Rishi ran towards her mother for a hug. She was crying.

Not only Emette showed his side that she no longer knows, he also refused to tell her anything. When she had decided to accept that she still loves him, he brushed her off just like that. She doesn’t know what to do anymore. The only thing that came to her mind was her mother.

“Mom, I’m sorry.” Rishi said between her sobs. “I’m so sorry.”

Kerchen doesn’t really know what happened but this is the first time her daughter cried to her since her first loss in a tennis match. She patted her daughter’s back and gave her a soft hug.

“Would you mind telling mom what’s wrong?” Her motherly tone said.

How long has it been since she faced her daughter as a mother and not as a scientist? Yes, everything changed since that day, since she took Rishi to Alaska. It wasn’t only Rishi that’s different now. She is too. And it took her ten years to notice it. But that’s not what’s important right now. Rishi’s happiness now comes first.

“I’m sorry.” Rishi gulped so she could solidify her voice to talk. “I really thought I had moved on, that I had forgotten about him. But no matter how many times I convince myself that I do, my heart just becomes heavy and everything gets complicated.” She paused and she was guided by her mother to sit on the bed. Her hands were on her mother’s lap, being held. It gave her courage to talk. “And when I thought it’s about time I tell him everything, my surrounding is just so against it. And then the more I see him, the more I notice things that are not Emette. It’s like he’s a different person.”

Kerchen wiped as much tears as she can from her daughter’s face, trying to understand her pain. But she can’t. Being away from the one you love and to meet after so many years to know that your feelings didn’t change but he did, it would really be complicated. And the one who made things this messed up was her.

“But after I was convinced that he’s a different person and no longer the man I loved, I see things the same as it was before. Now, I don’t know what to think. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

Rishi breathed. This must have been her longest story she ever told to her mother since her tennis days and the first time about what she feels.

“Now, there’s a woman’s name that I don’t know about that he keeps on saying on the phone. And when I try to ask him he can’t give me any good answers. It’s like he doesn’t want to tell me. It’s like we’re really separated even if he’s just in front of me. I know I no longer have the right to question him about personal stuff but I can’t help it. I love him, mom. And I don’t like it when he’s talking to some woman I know nothing about and he won’t tell me who.”

Rishi didn’t notice but her sobs were gone and she’s now starting to get angry. Her mother smiled at the sight.

“And now you’re smiling!” Rishi stood, freeing her hands from her mother’s comforting grasp. Her eyes squinted, revealing anger and at the same time, fighting over her tears. “Well, you’re happy. Of course! You didn’t like Emette. You were so against the two of us from the beginning! Now you’re happy seeing me broken? Again? Mom, haven’t you had enough of me in this state back then? Is this why you pulled me into this project so you could see me suffer more? Didn’t I say I was sorry already?”