twenty two

I ran my fingers through Cooper's hair as he laid beside me. He only goes to preschool on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so he was going to spend all day with McKinley and I today. "Mama." I heard him say. "Yeah?" I turned on my side so I could look at him. "I miss daddy." His big blue eyes met mine. "I do too but it's not going to be long until we see him again." He nodded and went to grab my hand.

"Can we pray for daddy? Like we do at church?" He asked and I felt my eyes widened. "Of course." I grabbed his hand and intertwined our fingers. "Dear God, please bring my daddy back home so he can take me fishing. Amen!" He said and I smiled. "Amen." I grabbed both of his cheeks before giving him a kiss on the forehead. "Let's go wake up sissy!" He climbed out of my bed and started running to McKinley's room. I wiped away some tears before following behind him.

Cooper and I went to Ryan's parents' store while McKinley was at my mom's house. They own a market where they sell fruits, vegetables, and jams. We like to go over and help out because of how busy it gets. "Hey Jess." Katie smiled and hugged me. "Hey." I smiled back before following her inside.

A few of their workers were finishing with putting out the produce for sale. "Hey Cooper!" Lauren smiled as he ran over to her. "Hi nana." He hugged her before she picked him up. "Are you excited to be in school?" She asked and he nodded before talking all about his school.

I checked out the last customer before telling them to have a good evening. I went over to the front door and flipped the Open sign to Closed before locking the door. "Closing up?" Matthew asked and I nodded. "Thanks for helping out kiddo, I really appreciate it. Cooper is eating pizza in the break room." He said and I smiled as he patted my back.