𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙴𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽

Aria's POV

"What did Gabriel say exactly?" I ask, mentally preparing myself for anything they may ask. The boys look at Gabriel, making my eyes go to him as well. His crystal blue eyes look at me, guilt swimming in them. I remember what I said in the bathroom, about not hiding from them.

"I thought I said it in my head but I said if only they know what I saw." His head hangs low as he finishes. Worried about him, I stand and make my way over to him. He watches me and I wrap my arms around him, hugging him. I made a promise to him without actually saying the words. When I try to do something, it is a promise to me, a promise to try.

"It's okay meanie. You can tell them." I whisper, hiding my face in him. Nerves are bubbling to the surface as I feel him taking a deep breath, as if preparing himself as well. It is the first time I have ever opened up about anything like this to anyone. My grip tightens as he speaks.

"She has shadows in her eyes. A lot of them." His arms wrap around me, almost protectively. I can't help but to smile at the embrace, enjoying his sweet scent. Silence follows his words but I just stay in his arms, hidden.

"Baby, is that true?" North asks, his voice not intimidating but still strong and demanding an answer. I nod against Gabriel, his grip tightening slightly. I hold a little tighter and keep my breathing as even as possible.

"Aria, how long..." Silas trails off, causing me to look at my childhood best friends. Their eyes seem so full of guilt, silently asking if I had these shadows while they were around. I bite my lower lip and look down.

"The first time I remember seeing the shadows was 9 years ago." I admit, hating that the boys are going to blame themselves for not seeing it. I look up and see my fear is confirmed. The guilt is worse and anger simmers in North's eyes. I know better to know he isn't angry at me but I can't help but to shake slightly under his gaze.

"North, stop, you're scaring her." Kota says, him moving closer to me. I focus on North, that anger, remembering all the times I had seen the same emotion. Elias all my life, Blackout when he couldn't get close enough, Muriel when I was close to Victor, Christopher as he beat me alongside Elias, myself when I held a blade to my wrist.

"-ia? Aria!" I jolt and flinch as someone's hand touches my arm. I back away, blinking a few times to come back to reality. I see it is Luke who had went to touch my arm. I mentally scold myself for going into my own head, for blanking out.

"I'm, I'm okay. I just, I need a minute." I make my way out of the room and walk towards Victor's bedroom. I close the door behind me, leaning against the door. Silent tears fall down my cheeks and I slide down the door, my head tilted back against it. Flashbacks of all the times I have seen anger directed at me fly through my head, the punishments I have dealt with, the traumas.

'Why can't I be normal?'

I pull my knees towards my chest, my forehead leaning against them. The tears continue to fall, silent as ever, my breathing barely audible. I hear shuffling on the other side but ignore it, knowing it is the boys. I lift my head, my chin now resting on top of my knees. 

Red eyes stare at me from the other side of the room, my heart stopping. I blink a few times, hoping this was a nightmare or just my mind playing tricks. But when those eyes stay and a figure emerges from the dark corner, I remember why I am afraid of the dark.

The lights go out, stirring me from my sleep immediately. The only light available now is from the moon shining through the window.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here." A man dressed in all black, with a robotic voice comes from the darkness. The moonlight is blocked by his frame. The only thing I now see is his glowing red eyes. It reminds me of a demon lurking around its next victim. I shake, my goosebumps visible. I sit up, backing away from the man slowly.