Chapter 63

Rose answered her phone. "Hello."

"Where are you?"

"Daddy?" Rose was confused.

"Yes!" Donald's voice perked up. "How are you, dear?"

"Um... I'm okay." She set down the laundry. "How are you?"

"I'm great. Where are you?"

She knew he'd been making small talk until he could get back to his questioning. "I'm at Mercy's."

"Is Marcy there?"

"No. I think she may be upstairs."

"Tell her to come down."

"Are you coming over?"

"Yes."

"With what, Daddy? I don't want to see anymore penises in boxes."

"You won't."

"Alright. I'll call her."

"Thank you."

"Bye."

"Bye." Both hung up.

Rose called her daughter, who was in fact home. Turns out morning sickness had kept her bedridden and away from the studio. Rose convinced her to come down anyway.

Marcy brought the kids. "Momma, I don't feel well."

"Come on. I'll make you tea and toast." Rose took Riley from her. "Has she been trying to crawl yet?"

"No. She's just interested in climbing things." Marcy herded the twins out and followed her mother.

"You stop that before you fall." Rose told Riley as she pinched her cheek softly.

Riley opened her mouth.

"Are you trying to talk? Huh? You tryin to talk to Gram?"

"Rye can't talk, Gram!" Mally giggled. "She's a baby!"

"Mommy tried talking at this age."

Mally and Mickey gasped in shock before looking at their mom, who was more interested in lying in the booth in the kitchen. "Mommy?!"

"Yeah, Mommy!" Rose set Riley on her hip as she went about making toast in a pan and tea in the microwave.

The twins climbed into the booth and Mickey went around to her mom to pet her hair. "Mommy sick?"

Marcy's eyes widened and she popped up to run out. Straight to the bathroom off the kitchen.

"Mommy gone!" Mally was impressed.

"Yeah, Mommy's sick." Rose set Riley next to Mickey. "Make sure she doesn't fall."

"Okay, Gram." Mickey watched her sister.

Rose put the mug of tea in the freezer and checked on Marcy before going to the refrigerator for cranberry juice and cut off a bit of Ginger.

When Marcy came back, Rose gave her a glass of juice and the Ginger piece. "Here you go."

"Thank you." Marcy sipped slowly.

"Your toast is nearly ready but your tea is still warm."

"That's okay."

Mickey pushed Marcy's heavy hair back. "Hot, Mommy."

"Mommy's sick." Marcy chewed on the bit of Ginger.

"Why?" Mally piped up.

"Babies make you sick when they're in your tum-tum. It's how you know they're okay."