Chapter 7

Mercedes washed the coffeepot out. "I wish Marc would have called to tell us what happened after he proposed."

Mike and Puck told Mercedes and Quinn that Marc was going to propose ‪Sunday night‬.

Quinn washed a plate. "Maybe they're celebrating? She'll tell us today."

"I'm so excited for you guys." Kurt swiveled on his stool. "Now you'll be sisters through marriage."

"It's just another link." Mercedes smiled.

"Now if only we could get Marcy to marry Mal." Quinn rolled her eyes.

"You heard Mrs. C. They're getting engaged before this year is up."

"Who's Mrs. C?" Kurt asked.

"Stands for Mrs. Chang."

"Oh. She really thinks they're getting married?"

"We all do. She just put a time stamp on it."

"Before this year is up is a long time. It's almost August."

"I know!" Mercedes squealed.

"I wish we could stay ‪through tomorrow‬." Kurt pouted. "I hate missing your birthday."

"I know, boo but you have work."

"I can't believe Santana quit. She always has to be so dramatic."

Quinn laughed. "How else would she let Artie stay here a month? Not without her she wasn't."

Mercedes broke down in giggles. "I remember when she called to say she was going to cripple him further if he thought he was staying here a whole month."

"Santana is a different breed." Kurt shook his head. "But since I won't be here for your birthday, I have a present for you."

"Ooh! Can I have it?"

"Sure." He stood up. "Let me go get it."

Mercedes and Quinn finished cleaning the kitchen by the time he got back.

He set a purple wrapped box on the island counter. "Here you go."

Mercedes picked it up excitedly and began ripping the paper off.

"Now it's nothing expensive but I thought you'd like it. It's in honor of the chance you gave me."

Mercedes lifted the top off and melted. "It's a necklace."

"Yeah. I remember that saying "a hag and her fag"? So I got that printed on two lockets. A picture of me is inside yours and a picture of you is inside mine."

Mercedes looked at the word "hag" printed on the heart shaped locket and rubbed her thumb over it. "Thank you, Kurt."

He smiled. "You're welcome."

"What'd you get me for my birthday?" Quinn demanded.

"I put it in your room."

She smiled. "Okay."

Mercedes threw away the box and paper before giving the necklace to Kurt. "Put it on me?"

"Sure." He stood up and came around the island to put the necklace around her neck. "You look beautiful."

Mercedes hugged him. "Let's go upstairs and hang out with everybody before we take you to the airport."

"I'm in."

M&MC

"We have to go." Mercedes looked at her phone.

"Me too." Marcy stood up. "It was nice seeing you guys."