Chapter 9

Mercedes was excited as she entered the music store. "This is it, guys! We're gonna meet our drummer today!"

Puck and David nodded with smiles.

Marcy shut the door behind them. "We have to go to the percussion section."

"Lead away!" Mercedes said happily.

Marcy led them through the large store until they reached the section that sold percussion instruments. At one of the sets, a man with long curly hair banged heavily.

Marcy sat at one next to him and beat out a steady rhythm. He grinned and increased his tempo. Marcy slowed down. As if by silent agreement, they switched. He played slower and she sped up. She slowed down again then they both played faster.

It reached all over the store and people came to watch them as they headbanged.

They drew to a finish and threw their sticks at the audience before taking bows. Both pushed their long hair out of their faces and turned to each other with a grin and outstretched hand.

"Dude, you're dynamite!" He grinned.

"You're a lit match and gasoline!" She shook his hand.

"I'm Ringo!"

"A drummer named Ringo?"

"It's cuz of the hair." He nodded and his wild mane flew everywhere.

Marcy nodded. "Understood. They call me Monster."

"Yeah but you hate that." Mercedes brought up.

"Shut up."

Ringo laughed. "My real name's Rafeal."

"My real name's Marceline Anne but most people call me Marcy." Marcy threw her hair over her shoulder. "This is my sister, Mercedes Catherine. She's trying to get together a band. What do you say?"

"Me? In a band?" Ringo laughed. "I don't know, bro. I'm a wild child."

"So is Marcy." Mercedes said.

"We gon fight, Mercedes Catherine." Marcy pointed at her.

"Sorry, Monster." Mercedes smiled sweetly. "Call me Mercy. This is Puck and David."

All the men spoke.

"I'd really love for you to join us. You're really skilled." She widened her eyes and stuck her bottom lip out.

"What is she doing?" David whispered.

"It's how she gets her way. I've never seen it not work." Puck whispered back.

"She doesn't do it a lot, does she?"

"She doesn't have to. She's so nice people usually does what she wants anyway."

"Does it really work on everyone?"

"I've only ever seen her give it to dudes and yeah, every time."

"She ever give it to you?"

"More times than I wanna cop to."

Ringo fell into her eyes. "Alright. I can join your band. I mean I might not be any good though."

Mercedes hugged him. "Thank you! Thank you! You're saving us! We need you!"

Ringo laughed. "Okay."

"Do you know how to write music?"

"I can read it."

"Marcy can help you write music."

Marcy cocked her head. "What?!"