Chapter 61

"It's the beginning of labor." The doctor washed his hands.

"It can't be, Dr. McMillan!" Mercedes protested. "I'm not due for another two weeks!"

"Multiples usually arrive early." He dried his hands and threw away the towels before approaching her. "Did you not have a birthing plan with your doctor?"

"Yes. Two weeks from now. He wanted to schedule a Caesarean but hoped for a natural delivery."

"Well he's going to get his wish. You're in the beginning stages but you're progressing quickly."

"Not fair!"

Mike squeezed her hand. "So what do we do? What's our next step?"

"It's a mite too early for drugs but I'll be on standby." Dr. McMillan patted her foot. "Until then, continue eating your ice chips and maybe take a stroll around the floor. Try to relax, dearie. It'll all be over with soon."

M&MC

"You said soon!" Mercedes accused.

"This is... new." Dr. McMillan was flabbergasted.

"New?!"

"New?!" Mike frowned.

"New?!" Their family echoed.

"Different. I meant different." Dr. McMillan corrected.

"Why?!" Mercedes sobbed.

"No, no. Calm down, lass. Twill be alright. It's just a little different to have a woman dilated eight centimeters in an hour to not dilating at all for another twelve."

"What's going on? Why won't they come out?"

"I think maybe they got excited but everything will be alright. I'll see about scheduling a C-section as soon as possible."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that we'll numb you from the waist down and cut into the belly to remove both twins. Then we'll glue you back together and let you bond with your boys. How does that sound?"

"Numb me with what?"

"There's a small injection-"

Snorts were heard from the women in her family.

He grimaced. "To the base of your spine. You'll have to hold very still and then it'll be all over."

"Needle?" Fear radiated off Mercedes.

"Hey, baby?" Mike squeezed her hand and kissed the back of it. "It will be alright. You'll be fine. I promise. I'll be here every step of the way."

She nodded with wide, fearful eyes. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah." She was terrified but she was in pain and the boys needed to come out.

"I'm here for you."

She took a deep breath and nodded at the doctor. "I'm ready."

Dr. McMillan smiled. "You're a strong lass. I'll be back shortly."

M&MCish

"Are you okay?" Mike asked. "The nurses will be in here soon. It'll all be over soon."

"I feel so bad." Mercedes whispered.

"Try the breathing exercises from your birthing class."

Mercedes tried doing the breathing but it barely made a dent. "It's not working!"