Chapter 14

Marcy let the twins in before her and arched her back.

"You seem stressed, brah." Jude shut the door behind himself.

"It's just I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up these new pills. I'm fine." The truth was, Marcy was exhausted. Which is what the doctor had told her.

"Do you want to go lie down? I can watch the kids. I'll bring you some of the soup your sister made Tuesday."

"That's too much. I just need some lemon water."

"You need to eat." He lectured.

"You sound like that blasted doctor. I eat fine."

"Since I've been here, you've pecked at your food."

She narrowed her eyes. "I don't need you telling me how to live my life!"

"It's me, brah. Remember when we were in Romania? It was just us against all those sadists. It's us now. You know I've got your back. Through whatever."

"Thanks, Jude." Marcy hugged him.

He hugged her back. "Anytime."

"Sorry I snapped on you. You live better than me anyway. I should listen to you tell me how to live my life."

Jude waved her away. "Go get in bed and I'll be up there soon."

"Thanks." She crawled up the stairs and toed her shoes off before slithering onto her bed. She promptly fell asleep.

Jude came in with the soup and set it on her nightstand. He left quietly and went downstairs to play with the twins.

M&MC

Mercedes felt like crying. These girls were horrible! "Thank you." She waved to the last one.

The girl flounced out.

"Yeah, we're done." Puck sat back roughly.

"Can I panic now?" David already had strains of it in his voice.

Florera checked her phone. "No. We have ten minutes. Somebody could walk through any second-!"

"Really?!" Santana snapped.

"Yes!"

"Excuse me?" A girl poked her head in. "Is this where the auditions are held?"

"Yes." Ringo smiled. "Please come in. What's your name, dear?"

"Tiffany Spudini." She stood in front of the table. She looked completely nervous.

"Hi, Tiffany. Tell us a little about yourself." Mercedes wanted to put her at ease. Quite a few girls had thrown up earlier.

"Um... I'm eighteen, about to turn nineteen. I go to the University of Milan. I'm studying marine biology and I like to read old time mysteries."

"My father likes old crime novels."

Tiffany brightened. "I like old gumshoe movies, too."

"My sisters like them."

Tiffany was fully relaxed now.

"What are you going to sing for us today?" Mercedes asked.

"Paper Dreams by Christina Barnes."

Mercedes was surprised. It was a throwaway song on one of her grandmother's albums that not many people thought about. It was a beautiful song though. "Go ahead."

Tiffany opened her mouth and the voice of an angel came out. She finished with tears in her eyes but a shaky smile.

The group was gobsmacked. They began clapping. "That was so good!"