Chapter 55

"What'd you get Maddie for her birthday?" Mercedes asked.

Quinn sipped her decaf coffee. "A set of pearl barrettes."

"I got her pearl earrings with diamonds. It's a little cluster. They are so cute."

Santana watched them incredulously. "You're still doing this?!"

"Doing what?" Quinn lifted a shoulder.

"Ever since whatever happened last week, you two have switched between intense crying and pretending nothing happened. I haven't seen Patti since before she left suddenly and I haven't spoken to Little Chang since the night you guys disappeared on us. What the hell is going on?!"

Mercedes folded her arms on the table. "Tana, we got some really bad news. Mal disappeared as a result. Marc and Mikey said he has to do- something in order to deal with it. He won't go home until he does.

I'm not sure what Marcy is doing. She stays in her room most days. She won't let us in."

"Are we ignoring her again?"

"No. We're definitely paying attention. But this is attention she doesn't want."

"Is it about the miscarriages?"

"That's probably mixed up in it."

"I don't know anybody who's had a miscarriage."

"Us either."

"We don't know how to help her." It killed Quinn to admit.

"We have to get her out of her room." Santana shook her head. "Give her a reason to sing, ya know?"

Mercedes' eyes widened. "What did you say?"

"Give her a reason to sing?" Santana raised a brow.

Mercedes grinned. "I know what to do."

M&MC

Mercedes opened the door timidly. "Hey?"

Marcy looked up.

"How are you?" Mercedes came inside with Quinn.

Marcy lifted a shoulder.

"How did you sleep last night?" Quinn sat on the bed.

Marcy lifted her shoulder again.

"We have a surprise for you." Mercedes came over to Marcy's side and played with the young mother's hair.

"Actually I don't know what it is cuz Mercy was so excited, she just dragged me up here." Quinn laid back.

Mercedes gave her a dark look but the blonde couldn't see it. "Anyway!, you have to get up for the surprise."

Marcy looked at her.

"Come on, honey." Mercedes pleaded. "Please? Laura says you haven't been out of your room for a week."

Marcy slid until she fell over onto her side.

"No, no! Don't cry!" Both tried to catch her.

Marcy waved her arms and covered her face. When she felt she was getting too emotional, she forced herself to stop, sniffed loudly and sat up. "Where is it?"

Mercedes brightened. "You're gonna love it!"

M&MC

"It's been a week." Marc groaned.

"Would you get off my back?!" Mal snapped.

"You haven't seen Moppet in a week and you sneak around to see your own kids! This is ridiculous!"