A Little Hope in Uncertainty

Joel's POV

"Are you ready?"

Nodding at Devlin's words I slowly lifted my heavy body from the bed, my cheeks instantly turning red when the trail of his seed that I expected to drip down my legs didn't appear. I heard a chuckle behind me, leaning into the warmth of the strong arms that wrapped around my waist.

"Your . .   I-I mean I thought________."

Devlin remained quiet, but I had the feeling that he knew what I was trying to say. Swallowing nervously I tried again.

"When I was with Kyle, his seed, I had to take a shower the next day because it came back out . . . I thought that it would be the same this time with how many times________."

"You rejected him."

I turned in his arms and faced him, clearly confused and he smiled gently causing my heart to warm.

"What I mean is your body rejected him. Even though your heart recognized him as a mate, some small part of you refused to completely trust him and because you couldn't accept him fully, your wolf couldn't either."

"But we have pups."

"I think it's only your wolf's desire for pups that allowed him to accept the mate bond long enough for you to become pregnant. I think he felt the same way about you."

"Is that why he was able to throw me away so easily?"

I could hear the hurt in my own voice and felt Devlin's arms tighten around me.

"He threw you away because he's an idiot and his loss is much my gain. I would and will never abandon or betray you and I will never purposely hurt or leave you. You are the most beautiful and precious thing that has been placed into my hands and I'm still trying to figure out what I did to deserve you."

"I-It must be the same thing I did to deserve you. I . . . when this is settled, I want to bare your pups. I want you to mark my pups and become their sire."

"I would be honored to be the sire to your pups and I will fill you with a whole litter if it will make you happy."

A trembling breath escaped me and I felt my lips pull up into a smile as my heart swelled with joy. I have a mate that loves me. I'm not unlovable. Devin presses a quick kiss to the back of my head before releasing me and I throw my arms around him, pulling him close again.

"Joel, we have to get ready."

"But I don't want to let you go."

"I'm not going anywhere, but right now we have a fight to win."

I nodded and slowly pulled away, facing the bed when I noticed the set of folded clothes that he must have picked out for me. A gong sounded echoing through the room and a look of irritation crossed Devlin's face.

"They seem anxious to see blood being spilled."

I nodded without replying and went into the bathroom for a shower.

"Let them wait."

Devlin smirked an a chill went up my spine at just how sexy he truly was to me. I closed and locked the door so I wouldn't run back out and beg him to take me again. As I stepped into the shower I couldn't help but wonder how my mom and Joey were doing and I felt guilty that I had left them behind even though I knew I didn't really have a choice at that time. When this was all over and we had settled, I'm going to ask Devlin if we can visit them, I have a feeling that something is wrong.

Linda's POV

Hearing whimpers all around me, I slowly opened my eyes and reality hit me once again. Kyle had betrayed us! He destroyed our pack with his own hands after Joel left and he didn't feel any pain or remorse for what he did. It all happened so suddenly, we were all celebrating the full moon ceremony when new pups get their wolves when rogues attacked out of nowhere and . . . they went straight for the pups! We tried to fight them off, but Kyle used his Alpha command on us and we had no choice but to submit to him. As we stood there frozen, he approached me an struck me across the face, knocking me to the ground and splitting my lip.

"This is because of you. You created him and because you did he had the chance to reject and abandon me. Now because of you everyone is going to suffer."

He turned his attention to the rogues and someone came to help me up. I looked at the person through blurred vision and realized that it was Mara, my next door neighbor. She stared back at me with terrified eyes and whispered so no one could overhear her.

"He's insane! He's going to get us all killed!"

"I-It's my fault. I did this to us."

I could see the shock and disbelief fill her gaze, but she didn't reply, probably realizing that I was too caught up in my own self recrimination to believe anything she told me. The slamming of a door against the wall stopped all conversation and we all turned our fearful gazes to the top of the dungeon steps, but we couldn't hold back our cries as Amber, a sixteen year old wolf pup was thrown down the last of the steps, landing with a whimper of pain as she hit the ground.

"Which one of you whores is next?"

No one spoke or moved and the man let out a warning growl. I stood to my feet and slowly made my way over to him, he had taken Amber while we were still under the Alpha's command and no one could stop what happened. I quickly glanced back at her as the man dragged me away and saw blood dripping down her legs in a steady pool on the ground. At that moment, my wolf surfaced and she was out for revenge. I might die, but the others were going to see their mates again. I gently tugged my hand free from the wolf's grip, throwing my arms around his neck.

"Do you really want to share me with the others right away? Don't you want to have your own fun first?"

I shuddered when his hands started roaming my body and had to force a moan to escape my lips when he roughly squeezed one of my breasts.

"I bet you didn't even get a turn last time did you?"

Amber let out another whimper, but the wolf and I both ignored her as he brought his hands lower lifting the skirt I was wearing and stroking my legs. The minute he was distracted, I let my wolf take over completely and she immediately plunged her claws into his throat, forcing his head back so that his shocked eyes were looking into my cold ones.

Desiree's (Linda's wolf) POV

"As if I would let you have me. You harmed a she wolf barely out of puphood because some spineless wanna be Alpha made a deal with you? You separated us from our mates and pups and you thought you were going to live to celebrate your crimes . . .  where are the others?"

The wolf just smirked at me as blood started to drip from his lips and I drove my nails deeper into his neck.

"You're not going to die a hero if that's what you're thinking. In fact you're going to come with us when we escape and your family and friends are going to know that you led the way, since you're going to die as a traitor anyway, you might as well choose how you're going to die; quick and painless or slow and very, very painfully."

It's too late."

Twisting my claws around in his neck, I smiled dangerously when a scream finally left his lips.

"You'd better start talking, what do you mean it's too late?"

"The food . . . you were all so hungry after two weeks of not eating, you probably couldn't even taste the wolfsbane. Even if you manage to leave this place, you will never________."

He fell silent when a soft chuckle escaped my lips.

"You really think we're all stupid, don't you? Like we couldn't smell the poison . . . like we would actually trust rogues. We may be the females in our pack, but we're not helpless or weak."

His eyes widened and I could feel his body starting to shiver.  Seeing the surrender in his eyes, I leaned closer and whispered in his ear.

"Now how do we escape this place?"