Beginning to Breaking Down

Joey's pov

'Shift!'

'W-What?'

'SHIFT!'

I whimpered quietly, but let Leon take control and my bones start to twist and reset.

'There's not enough time . . . we won't be able to shift fully!'

'Then what____________?'

'Just trust me . . . this is going to hurt, but you have to endure it or we'll lose our pup.'

'Save our pup, Leon!'

I let out a scream of pain when my bones started to shift in reverse, like I was returning to my human form, but they quickly stop and bulge out again.

'W-What's going on, Leon?!'

'A partial shift! Our body is shifting between our human and wolf forms . . . that's why it hurts so much, our body is becoming something it's never been before!'

'It . . . It hurts so much!'

'I-I know, but we have to fight through it!'

An intense burning sensation slowly building up in my body steals my breath before I can reply and I could feel thick wiry hairs bursting out all over my body, before burrowing back beneath my skins and my claws do the same, leaving tiny drops of blood leaking from my skin.

'Is it . . . Is it almost over?!'

'I . . . I don't know.'

I close my eyes when the marble tile of the floor grow closer, but before I hit the ground, the pain suddenly fades and I hear a angry growl.

"How are you still alive?!

Opening my eyes, I gasp in shock, I'm crouching down with one hand cradling my pup close to my side and the other digging into the floor as if to help break a fall that I shouldn't have escaped unharmed.

'Run, Joey!'

The warning came just seconds before I looked up to find Kyle aiming a small silver handgun at my chest, his finger poised on the trigger as and his hate filled eyes focused on our pup.

" I'm going to make you suffer for taking my pups away from me and then I'm going to kill you. "

I stumbled to my feet and rushed towards the door, desperation making me faster . . . I had to get to my mom and Joel, they would protect me from him! As I dashed through the woods, I can hear his slow, calm footsteps behind me, filling me with fear. Just as the woods opened up and the house came into view, I heard several menacing growls coming from all around me and suddenly every one of the pack's hunters were surrounding me. One of them shifted and approached Kyle glaring back at me suspiciously.

"Your new Luna who has already proven his contempt for this pack has decided to sink even farther, he tried to kill our firstborn in a pathetic attempt to control me."

"N-No I . . . I would nev______!"

Keeping their attention on Kyle, the warriors refused to acknowledge my presence.

"What will you have us to do with him, Alpha?"

"Take the child and  . . . give her to the Silver Moon Pack as a good will offering."

"No! I won't let you touch my baby!"

The group advanced on me and Leon quickly took over, letting out a roar that froze everyone in their tracks.

"You would attack your Luna and try to steal his pup, knowing what the consequences for both mother and child would be if they were separated?! You wish to invoke the wrath of the Moon Goddess for the sake of  a worthless Alpha abandoned by his own wolf?"