SSDP*

Joel's pov

(Image of Rodney)

I glared at the Devlin and the blonde haired tramp that was currently ignoring me as she clutched my mate's hand, pressing her overly large and obviously fake breasts against the side of his arm, while batting her equally fake eyelashes at him in an embarrassing attempt at seduction as he stared down at her with an amused expression; but did nothing to discourage her.

"Devlin, remember when we were voted prom king and queen and you refused to dance with anyone but me?"

Devlin finally pushed her away and she let a sad pout cross her lips.

"If I remember correctly, you spent the whole night getting drunk and right after the last dance you told me that you'd been cheating on me the whole time with one of my best friends and called me a pathetic loser for thinking I even had a shot with you and the next day, you threatened a new student who approached me to ask for directions to her classroom that you were going to rip her hair out if she even looked at me again."

"Come on, Devlin, you know I was just kidding around back then. You've always been the only one for me."

Devlin suddenly pulled her to her feet, dragging her towards the door.

"Why did he send you here?"

"W-What do you mean?"

Growling low in his throat, Devlin pulled the door open and shoved her outside.

"Go home, Sheila. I don't know what the two of you are planning, but I want you to pass on a message for me . . . tell my sire that he lost the right to interfere in my life a long time ago."

The pout became a hideous snarl as she pointed a finger at me.

"You're willing to just turn your back on this pack and throw away everything we've all worked so hard for because some stupid slut spread his legs and convinced you he's your mate?!"

Devlin's usually brown eyes flashed silver and before I even had a chance to try and stop him, he had her pinned against the wall with his hand around her throat.

"You will never talk about my mate like that again! He is more important to me than this pack or your life and I won't tolerate any disrespect to him or our pups, do you understand?"

Instead of answering, Sheila turned her hostile gaze towards me. Following her eyes, Devlin tightened his hold on her until her face started to turn blue.

"Do . . . You.. . . . Understand?!"

"Y-Yes, Alpha Devlin."

Devlin instantly released her and turned to me as soon as the words escape her lips and she takes the chance to get away. A guilty look crossed his face and he quickly launched into an explanation.

"I'm not an Alpha, Joel. The Alpha of this pack is my sire, but I refused the inheritance a long time ago. And as for Sheila_____."

I held up a hand and Devlin stopped midsentence.

"It's fine, Devlin."

Before he could say another word, I walked away, leaving Devlin where he stood and went up the stairs to check on the pups, letting my own doubts and fears run rampant. Had I made the right choice? Did I rush into this to get over Kyle? I mean even though we're mates, we know absolutely nothing about each other and it's almost like we're afraid to question each other . . . and on top of that, I know this pack wants me and the pups gone.

(Flashback)

I jerked awake when the soothing swaying motion of the car suddenly came to a stop and looked at Devlin who smiled down at me.