Way Too Late For Sorry

Dr Williams pov

"This way doctor."

Following the nurse down the hall, I prayed that  I would find another patient inside of the room, but of course it was Joel.

"Dr Williams . . . is the baby_________?"

I reached out, stroking his hair and he closed his eyes accepting the soothing touch.

"Just stay calm, everything's going to be okay."

Joel nodded weakly, closing his eyes and turning away from me. One of my partners pulled me to the side, concern and admiration in his eyes.

This boy has the most amazing wolf I've seen in a long time . . . it seems that his wolf took all the damage from the blow to his stomach in order to protect the pups . . . however because of this, the young man won't be able to shift and we're going to have to preform a c-section on him to get the pups out safely and also___________."

"What is it?"

"The nurse that preformed the ultrasound . . . well the pups are two months premature, and even with the lack of injuries, we don't know how long they'll survive."

Letting out a sigh, I  ran a hand through my hair, turning back to Joel.

"We'll deal with that when the time comes, for now we have to do our job."

Plastering on fake smiles, we made our over way to Joel, who hadn't moved from the position I'd left him in. I nodded to the nurse who administered the sedative to the IV in Joel's arm. When we were sure he was under, we quickly got to work, removing his hospital gown and setting out the proper tools. Looking at his stomach for the first time, I froze for several seconds and then my hands started shaking.

"This . . . This bruise was made by an Alpha. Why would someone with that much power want to hurt someone so much weaker than they are?"

"I don't know, but something tells me that they didn't know about the pups."

"That's no excuse . . . wait, did you say pups?"

"Yeah, there are two or maybe even three, the only thing I know for sure is there's more than one."

I stared up at him as his words finally sank in and then swallowed down my surprise and lifted a scalpel preparing to do the first cut.
As gently as I could, I sliced through Joel's skin and tissue, until I could reach my fingers in and brush the small sack that housed the pups.  A nurse quickly wiped the sweat from my forehead as I continued the delicate procedure and I slowly lifted the first pup out, placing it on the towel another nurse held up.

"Everyone get ready for pup number two!"

Swiftly turning my attention back to my job, I carefully lifted out the second pup and handed it over.

"Alright, last one!"

I reached for the last pup, but something made me hesitate and Dr Sanchez, my partner had to finish up.

"Oh no."

I quickly turned to him, my eyes widening in shock and horror. The last pup wasn't breathing and it's eyes were clouded over.

"I'm sorry, Greg."

"No, there has to be something we can do! We can't just give up!"

"It's too late, nothing we try will work, it looks like it never even took a breath."

I closed my eyes, trying to hold back tears . . . I promised Joel that everything would be alright, how am I supposed to tell him that one of his pups is dead?