The Storm Arrives

Linda's pov

I was getting ready for a coffee date with Gregory, when Joel's voice came to me through our pack link.

'Mama, please help me . . . I'm sorry. I thought I was ready . . . I don't want to die and Demmi is so afraid . . . I'm so tired mama and it's so cold . . . please__________.'

Panicked, I quickly tried to contact him, already making my way towards the door and pulling it open.

'Joel what's wrong?!Where are you?!'

No reply. I knew I shouldn't have let him go! As strong as he is, I knew he could only handle so much at one time, yet I let him go anyway . . . if anything happened to him again, it would be all my fault!

'Gregory, I need you!'

'Linda, I'm on my way to pick you . . . what's wrong?'

'It's Joel . . . I don't know what's happened, but he's hurt or he's thinking about hurting himself . . . we have to find him right now!'

'Do you want me to come and get you or do you want to meet at the school?'

'I can't wait, I need to go now!'

'Alright, I'll be there as soon as I can.'

Cutting off the connection, I rushed outside and did something I backen't done since my husband left us . . . I shifted into my wolf Delia and let out a whimper as she sensed her pup's anguish and confusion. I quickly made my way to the school and though it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, I forced myself to calm down and search carefully for Joel's scent trail, knowing if I rushed I could run right past him without knowing. As I made my way down a nearly empty school hallway, I heard two girls talking and Delia told me to stop and listen to their conversation.

'Delia, we don't have time for this!'

'They're talking about our pup, Linda. I can feel it.'

'Why would they_______________?'

'Just listen.'

Forcing myself to quiet, I listened to what they were saying.

"Ugh, he's such a freak! I mean who would cheat on their mate and send pictures?"

"I know right and then to disappear like that without even defending himself, he could have at least denied it, right?"

"But who would have believed him?"

"He's just lucky he didn't get hurt . . . if my mate did that to me . . . well, he's not that stupid."

"Come on, we'd better get to class."

The girls had just disappeared down the hallway when Delia let out a whimper of fear.

'What's wrong?'

'Demmi . . . my pup, he's growing weak! We have to find him now!'

'But we don't know where he is!'

'I think I do . . . Linda I smell blood!"

'W-What?!'

'Let me keep control Linda . . . no matter what happens don't shift until I give the word, alright?'

'I . . . I don't______________.'

'We don't know what we're walking into and you might not be able to handle it.'

'O-Ok.'

I let Delia take most of the control of our body, only keeping a small part of my human consciousness. With her in control, I could now smell the blood, so strong that I could almost taste the salty metallic tang on my tongue and I heard the sorrowful whimpering we had both missed before.