Meanwhile . . .

Jesse's pov

I struggled to stay calm, to ignore the pain and weakness that were growing in intensity from the almost daily beatings and lack of food I'd been forced to endure for almost a week, the cold from the absence of clothes or a blanket to protect my body from the brutal temperature and the constant clinking of the chains wrapped around my wrists and ankles, trapping me against the wall of my cell. I have to hold on, for the sake of of my son, I refuse to give in to my fear of this monster anymore.

"You did this on purpose, didn't you? You thought you could get back at me by getting rid of my pup?"

I glared at him, his words reminding me of my painful separation from my baby.

"I would never hurt an innocent pup, especially not for you."

He suddenly spun around to face me, clamping a hand firmly over my mouth to shut me up and continued speaking as if he hadn't heard me.

"The problem with your very, very stupid plan is you believing I would show you mercy, because you see; I'm all out of mercy."

My eyes widened as he stared down at me with a sadistic grin on his face.

"Don't blame me, blame Joel . . . he's the one that took everything good left in me the day he rejected me. Now what do you think your punishment should be for the death of my pup?"

"Cast me out."

The monster smirked at my muffled plea, taking his hand away and waited in amusement for my explanation.

"If you truly believe I caused the death of our pup then why keep me close to you, why not let me go."

"Nice try, but I don't think so, letting you go will bring unnecessary trouble to my pack and besides why would I give you up when I've decided to make you my new mate?"

"M-Mate?"

His expression turned cold and  dominating and it took everything in me not to submit to him.

"You are going to bear my mark and you are going to give me a strong healthy pup, Jesse, so forget any thoughts you have about escaping because I will never let you go . . . you are  mine."

"N-No."

"What?"

"I-I said no. I will never accept you as my mate. You took the  man I love and my pup away from me . . . you're a monster and I hate you."

A growl was his only warning before his hand wrapped around my throat, his claws digging into the skin and causing rivlets of blood to run down my neck and chest.

"I wasn't asking, Jesse, you will spread your legs for me and  bring me pleasure. You will bear me as many pups as I want and will do so with a smile on your face or I will seek out that little brat of yours and let my wolf devour him."

All of the courage inside of me faded at that moment. He knew! He knew the pup I showed him wasn't his and he was threatening my pup!

"How . . . How did___________?"

"I know? Because in spite of what everyone thinks, I'm not stupid. I could tell as soon as I scented the body that neither one of us had anything to do with the creation of that pup."

I struggled to pull my wrists free, but of course they refuse to budge even the smallest amount and he shook his head, stroking a deceptively gentle hand across my cheek.

"You poor, weak little victim, you might as well just give in to me."

I swallowed nervously as the first tear slid down my cheek . . . someone please save me.

Joey's pov

I lifted my head, scenting the air again . . . my mate was close, his intoxicating fragrance continued to draw me to him and my mouth went dry at the thought of seeing him again. Would he acknowledge me when we meet again or will he ignore me after everything that happened between us before? No that doesn't matter, I need to focus on my goal. I take a few steps forward when I hear rapid  footsteps rushing towards me.

"Whose there?"

The footsteps suddenly turn in my direction and I pick up my pace to meet the person, my eyes widening in surprise when a wolf stopped in front of me, shifting into a familiar figure.

"You're the__________."

"Yes, I'm the pack nurse and you're Luna Joey . . . if you're here to get in my way, I'm afraid you're going to end up with an enemy you really don't want to make. If not, then let me go, I have a job to do."

Before I could reply, I heard several  other footsteps I quickly recognized approaching us and grabbed her arm, pulling her with me as I ran in the opposite  direction.

"What are you______?"

"We don't have time for this . . .  I'm not trying to fight you or get in your way, but the wolves chasing us will do everything in their power to hurt you if you run into them."

The women hesitated for a few minutes and then nodded, allowing me to pull her along.

"Why are you helping me? You know you're betraying your pack, don't you?"

"Look, I don't know who you really are and you don't seem to trust me or anyone from the  pack, but I can tell you want to bring them down as much as I do, right? I learned that my ma . . . Kyle has stolen a very important member of the Silver Moon Pack and that's the key to his downfall.""

"That boy isn't a key to anything! He isn't a tool for your revenge either, so if that's what this is about, then stay out of Silver Moon Pack's business."

"You're a member Silver Moon Pack?"

"That's right."

"Then why aren't you . . . you have his baby."

"Who told you about________?"

"Your Luna is in bigger trouble than I thought. There are others gathering around him that want to use him and his pup for their own purposes."

"Tell me who they are."

"That doesn't matter, I'm going to get him out before they find him."

"For some reason I believe you mean that."

"Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not doing this for you or the Silver Moon Pack. I have my own reasons to see him safe."

The woman looked at me with warning clear in her eyes.

"If you hurt that boy, there will be nowhere on this earth you will be able to hide from me."

"Save your threats for the ones trying to hurt him . . . we'll part ways here, you should be able to make your way safely now."

Nodding, the nurse gently sat down a bag I just noticed she was holding and shifted into a huge slate grey wolf, before taking the bag between her teeth and bolting through the woods. As soon as she was out of sight, I turned and made my way back the way I came, more than ready to pay my old pack a little visit.