When Worlds Collide

Joel's POV

"It's time to go, Joel."

Tugging on my shirt, I send a nod in my mom's direction before sitting on the bed to pull on my socks and shoes.

"Mom . . . before we go home, can you take me to see the Alpha?"

I knew she wanted to question me, but she just nodded her head and I smiled at her gratefully. I stood up, making my way over to her, when I felt something warm and wet sliding down my face.

"Joel, what's wrong honey?"

"I . . . I don't know . . . I'm sorry mom . . . I feel like I'm letting you down."

"Oh no, baby. I'm so proud of you, you don't even know. You and your brother have been the only good things in my life for so long and now even though I've found someone else, It'll never change the way I feel about the two of you."

"What if . . . What if one of us did something really wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

I opened my mouth but before any words came out I closed it again. I can't tell her what Joey did just to feed my own need for revenge.

"It doesn't matter. Do you want to help me choose a name for your grandchild?"

"We don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet, honey."

I smiled at her, grateful that she dropped our earlier conversation, sensing my unwilling to discuss it further.

"When will we be able to find out?"

"Not for a few more weeks."

Nodding, I tugged on my jacket. Mom led the way to the door and I reached a hand out to reassure her shoulder, before letting it drop to my side.

'I'm sorry mom, I wish things didn't have to be this way.'

As we made our way down the hall, I gathered my strength, preparing myself for what I was about to do.

Jason's pov

I bit harder into the neck of the deer I had just caught, listening to the delicate bones and tendons snap apart. I let out a moan as blood filled my mouth, imagining that it was Kyle's. I can't wait to get rid of him, even though we've always been friends and even though I've always protected him, now I want nothing more than to end his life. Am I going crazy . . . have I always been?

'That's right, you've always been crazy the only reason everyone thinks you're sane is because I've borne our insanity in order to protect you . . . but not anymore, not when he's taken what's ours! He's taken it, used it and thrown it away! I don't want you to just kill him, no I want you to destroy him! I don't want anything left to prove he exsisted!'

I let out a whimper as a pain shot through my head.

"They'll come after me . . . if I hurt him, they'll hunt me down."

'I'm smarter than all of them, Jason, I won't let them hurt you.'

I nodded, calming down almost instantly. I would crush Kyle and then Joel would be mine. Shifting back to my human form, I dragged the dear through the woods, making my way to the cave where I would skin and dry the meat . . . I want to make sure everything is perfect for Joel before I bring him to our new home.

Joel's pov

I stared out the window, watching everything go by swiftly as we approached the Alpha's house. A small part of me was nervous about what I was doing, but the rest of me was completely calm. Mom kept glancing over at me, but I couldn't bring myself to look at her and a heavy silence grew between us. I jumped when she gently touched my shoulder and I jerked around to face her.