Chapter 2/Perhaps we should explain Skin-walker from chapter 1

Yep another chapter from that book we are Shamlessly promoting. The Alpha's Concubine. 

Skin-walker - Native American word for werewolf

Emma's POV.

We went inside Starbucks with me trying to talk my way out. As I left, I looked over to see everyone ( well at least Mikey and Alexa ) on their mobile phones. I could imagine the phone calls 'Hi mom bad news is I didn't get the job, good news I'm still alive.... What do you mean I should have died trying? I thought that was you know, what do they call them ? A metaphor.. uhun .. Well I regard that as a plus.. I don't care if my brother died getting a job at Wallmart... I thought living would be good for you..I thought you would be happy your only offspring wasn't dead...sorry.. geez'.

"Well" Mr McCoy said as we began walking into the air-conditioned cool of the shop. "I don't think Starbucks would ever think of tolerating illegals. Illegals like Americans working in their shop you know."

I caught up with Mr McCoy "Look, I've been out of town. I'm desperate for work. Couldn't I start working and join a pack or something after I start? Please."

I tried doing my puppy dog eyes at him. I think, it came out more as looking like I was trying to do a large bowel movement in my pants. You see pity isn't my thing. It didn't matter though.

Just then two werewolves in Police uniform dropped in. By drop in, I mean literally. There was a hole in the ceiling of Starbucks where people who wore flying harnesses could land. The police were two large werewolves. As soon as the police landed everyone including me looked to the floor out of 'respect'. By respect I mean fear. Why is it that tyrants always confuse the two?

"We got a message that there was an undocumented here." One of the werewolves said. Eyes glanced at me.

It felt like a rusty sword was pushed into my gut. One of the other applicants had phoned the police. Sold out by a fellow human. Truly, humanity had been subdued by aliens.

One of the werewolves grabbed my arm and pushed a scanner over it.

"Hmmm, I don't see any sign of a microchip." He snarled. I was falling deeper into a big vat of trouble. If I was Raymond Chandler, which, you know, I'm not. I would say I was about to fall into a big vat of deep fried trouble. That makes me sound like I'm some kind of Scottish Mars bar. Which again, just for maximum clarity here, I am also not.

"Feral human," the other said getting out his phone, "I will call the ASPCA."

"ASPCA?" I said.

"Animagus Society for the prevention of cruelty to Americans." The first one said. "They will collect you Pink."

Just to maintain my excellent record of full disclosure I am not feral. Wild maybe, fierce possibly, and on occasion vicious but to my credit never feral.

They nodded at Mr McCoy who got out his clipboard of candidate names.

"We will take her from here." One of the werewolves said pulling me out of the shop.

I turned an shouted at the customers, "Is this what the werewolf invasion has reduced us to? Think people. We are human. We were once a proud and mighty race. Great of stature. Noble of bearing. We.... skeeeequik." I finished as I was silenced by a half paw over my mouth.

As we left a small girl and her mom were walking towards the entrance. "OUT OF THE WAY! HAIRLESS" the first werewolf police shouted. The girl shrieked and jumped back to her mom's arms. The Mom gabbed her and stifled a noise of terror she was about to make. The werewolves snarled.

Once outside they let go. "Hey what about my danish swirl!" I shouted as I was dragged on to the street outside.

"You know they tend to neuter the feral ones. Stops the population of strays growing." The other werewolf officer said.