Chapter 26/Delivery

A/N Picture  of V-22 Osprey. Described below it's a helicopter and a plane. This is not a vain attempt to try and het-up the sci-fi content because it's getting too girly or anything.

Video: American Beauty. It's an experiment to give your reading some texture. Think of it as a sound track for your reading  

Flight to Washington 2.0 over Area 402::formally known as Nebraska

5642's POV.

I was sitting in the Amazon e-slave containment area of the delivery plane feeling like I was about to have christmas at grandpa's house. Which would be true if grandpa's house was balanced over the edge of a large spiky cliff. The wifi was switched off for the flight and this lack of distraction gave me an period of reflection I wasn't sure I liked.

I'd been wheeled unconscious into the processing centre, now I had walked helpfully into the packing department proudly strutting in my high heels. I had sat down and helped them attach me to a restraint system and encase me in shrink wrap up to my neck. The'y had filled the cardboard box I sat in with popcorn based packing beads,threw in a few of accessories and closed the lid, letting my head sit out of the box. Then stapled the lid down.They put some stickers on my box and my collar. I was officially packed. When my restraints had been checked they had deactivated the collar escape interdiction system. For the first time I could rest easy that any electronic malfunction would not mean instant death. That said, I was going to miss the place.

For the past weeks I had been fed the machines' view of things. We were shown how fast they were, how smart they were, how strong they were. I knew the story. We were stupid enough to create something which we knew could take us over, we'd still done it and we got what we had deserved. We'd had our shot and blew it. Evolution doesn't sit still, something better would always comes along eventually, if not robots then something else. Once the Native American's used to run America. Then the settlers had taken over. We might feel sorry for the Native American's, do what we can for them. Did the Native American's seriously have a chance of over throwing the settlers? Would we seriously consider letting them return America to a hunter gatherer economy? No. So why should we even have the arrogance to expect anything different under the machines rule? The Party was over.

We had been told humanity had made 905 species extinct, the European bear, the woolly mammoth, the sabretooth tiger. We might feel sorry for them but in the more or us vs more of them world we hadn't really stinted our selves. So slavery was actually far more than we could legitimately expect. If we really wanted to do something for humanity, domestication was the best option. As slaves we were on the for front of ensuring humanities long term survival. From dinosaurs, to us, to the machines it was all steps on the ladder of progress, we should be happy to take our service rolls as humanity inevitably passed into history. Think of slavery as a consolation prize, something the dinosaurs didn't get. It all seemed so reasonable and logical it was impossible to think of a flaw in it. It just felt right. I was annoyed with my self over it, they had won we had lost, if felt like that was just the way it was supposed to be.

If I did believe that, I reasoned, then I was thinking like an e-slave. Perhaps all this Jenny business was just petty self delusion? The old world was over. Should I just admit I was who I was 5642? 5642, I reasoned could be sad to leave the place of her re-boot. She could be comfortable that her birthday was reset to today, her delivery day. She could be worried she would be accepted by her new master Lord Rockwood and to do everything to command the high price which had been paid for her. 5642 could be comfortable striving to be exactly the right product and try to be constant in every way. 5642 could be comfortable with her friends and not have to worry about what would happened to them if Jenny left them behind while attempting that terrible e-act. I looked at 1066 and 1324, could I have the courage to ask them to call me by my real name 5642? Could I help them adjust to them selves and begin living a life again? Was it time to put Jenny behind me like a bad marriage? My collar had helped me realise that I had gone through all the stages of grief. Denial, anger, negotiation, depression and perhaps was it time finally for acceptance. I was grieving for who I was and what I had but would not be again. Perhaps what I was grieving for was the old me and perhaps if I recognised that I could achieve peace and acceptance of the new?

Or perhaps I told m myself, I was still the selfish, shitty, funny, brat I always was. A robot apocalypse wasn't going to change that, Not today. I'm a stupid human dick. Stupid and human enough to have no reasonable grounds to, but still feel hopeful. I'm sure if the Factory had given me enough time to think things through I might have gone for 5642 but Not today. I'm that kind of a person give me enough time to think and I'm my own worst enemy, but Not today. Unfortunately their obsession with keeping me occupied had backfired. I guess that backfire puts Jenny back on the map. They screwed up, I'm still me. Humanity 1 robots nil and the home team has the advantage. #### them.

Jenny's POV

"So long suckers!" I shouted as the ship took off. We all burst into laughter. 5642 ? 5642 my a$$.

"So no collars to rat us out so we can talk shop"

"Can we swear again?" said Kayla. The collars had got very very strict on the subject of expletives"

"Fuck yea!"

"Bollocks! It's so good to use that word again, what nice round fruity wonderful word!" said Joe.
I never thought I would have a day when my greatest luxury would be a course expletive. It was f***king amazing.

"Look we don't have time I want to talk about ...e..escape" I said. I found myself still stuttering over the last word I guess 50,000 simulated volts will do that to people.

On the one hand I think my plan to lull the binary masters into a false sense of security was working. I was also pleased. I was in the e-slave containment area with both Joe and Kayla so what ever was about to happen at lease I could see it through with some friends. How ever flying into the clutches of him wasn't filling me with a huge amount of pleasure but If I was careful it would be a short acquaintance only.

"Where are we?" I tried to figure out where we were by watching out the window.

"Nebraska I think we are going to the New Mechanical Order capital of Washington 2.0. Did you know It had started as an old google data centre near Broken bow and given its reach to both east and west coasts seemed like the logical position for the robot's capital" Joe did.

"That was seriously the most boring thing I've ever heard." said Kayla.

"They call it Washington 2.0?" I said.

"Or the central Hub" said Joe.

"No better" Kayla said.

The machines had clearly figured out what I hadn't, which is marching 400 miles in high heels back to humanity wasn't going to be simple.

Hours later the plane started move towards a huge city of super towers but no huge ring of suburbia about it.We got closer and began to circle a building it was like a large pyramid. I looked out trying to keep a picture of Lord Rockwood's compound in my head.

I could imagine the realtor now. This recently built 4000 room home is set compound of 14 miles of 3 story wire fence topped with razor-sharp barbed wire. This contemporary building is equipped with all mod cons including e-slave torture chambers, swimming pool and gym. All set inside a massive pyramid shape building about the size of the White house. Add in a few lawns, parks and lakes all patrolled by machine gun carrying drones and you get the charming idea. Looking at  the other buildings which lead up the main capital building and you would then think of Rockwood's tastes as slightly megalomanic.

****

A/N OK This isn't as LOL as the previous chapters but we wanted to create a break and kind of pull the theme of the book to the forground a little ( yes the book has a theme this is SciFi we'd get kicked off the SciFi community if it didn't raise some issues, come on). To much of a downer? - perhaps the lead up to the punch line is a little long - If you watched any of the intro videos you might think well all is lost and this is Jenny's respose to all that. Plus we get to play to the whole POV thing which is possibly the best thing WattPad ever did. So what do you think ? Leave a comment ( really not just pandering for comments ) it might help.

That's the end of part 1.

As all ways we are following the 'just write it' mantra. Please please please forgive the spelling/grammer errors it's not intentional. We are just writing as quickly as possible. We have already knocked Chapter 1 into version 1.1 (have a read if you don't belive me).

Join us next week for the start of part 2: