Chapter 95/Resistance/The secrets of the harem or Halt and Catch Fire

Or the final words of the human prophets.

Video: Jaron lanier - the ending as described in the chapter ,it's all factually correct. 

We flew back to Rockwood hall. I know what your thinking - dumb ass idea. You would be right, I would have to wear a collar and heels and everything, but this wasn't about having it all. This was about having it right. Yeh I would have to do the thing I found least easy to do, compromise. The upside was he would have to compromise too. If we couldn't make it work then I felt he would be good enough to set me free. You see your only a slave when you have no alternative. If I could leave when ever I wanted I wasn't a slave. I could choose to have a ring - around my finger or around my neck - It wasn't that different. It showed I belonged to someone EXCEPT the only difference was he belonged to me too. Strange how these little things make all the difference.

It's like surveillance cameras - when they can watch me and I can't watch them it's spooky surveillance. If the same security guy is standing right there and I can see him as much as he can see me well that's not surveillance it's just looking out for each other which is what turns a spooky empty street into a busy happening night spot. It was the same with the ring. When the ownership is one way it's slavery, when it's mutual it's kinda like love. OK I'm getting too philosophical. What you wanted to know is what was Rockwood's big secret he had done so much to protect. That's OK so did I.

Little Jenny insisted the Loop come with us to Rockwood hall. I felt it was mean but after we all agreed he could leave when done he was curious enough to chance everything.

I had to be smuggled into the hall. I sat in a trolley being wheeled out of the pod bay while Gort wheeled me up to the 77th floor which was the start of hareme central. Joe and Kayla took over and after the door to the hereme closed behind us, he knocked. I came out. We passed some pretty strict security.

"Laura Croft would have a good time breaking into here" I said looking at the traps and weapons we went through.

Finally the death trap closed behind us and we were in a large cloak room. Joe went over to set of holes in the floor. He put his sexy high heels in and they came out in flats. Kayla followed him.
"Joe your in flats" I said.

"So are you," said Joe pulling a teeshirt with a chemical symbol on it 'Ah' 'element of surprise' it said. The teeshirt was large it hung down over his hips. Before I could say 'that's not slave regulation' a couple more harem slaves came in. One was clearly overfilling his slave unitard and the second one was a beautiful slave girl with a short goatee beard.

"There is a problem over in JCD they said when you get back could you fix it," said the slave girl with a short goatee beard.

"Ok Leon, I'll be there after the meeting," said Joe casually.

"you know this is maximising my WTF out quotient," I said.

"It's get's worse" promised Kayla.

We walked around a corner and entered a large office space.  There was table after table of slave 'girls' sitting at screens. The mess of cables them of some of them was terrible. Sitting at many screens where slave girls staring at screens.  Some slouched, some peering intensively at each screen, some played video games, some stared at technical manuals. Except they weren't really slave girls. Some had pulled their hair back in a ponytail some, more were fat, most didn't were any makeup quite a few had beards or some form of facial hair.

"I'm guessing about now, you're as freaked-out as I was the first time." said Joe.

"You could say that. What's going on? Did they close down Paul Rue?" I said.