Chapter 16

Lexi's POV:

"No, you can stay here the night," I say as Hunter & I sit on my couch, watching The Last Song on tv. I'm trying not to let my tears show, but it's really hard with this movie. "It would save you the trouble of getting a hotel. I can stay on the couch while you take the bed." 

"Thanks Lexi. But it's ok really, you stay on your bed & I'll take the couch. It wouldn't be right if I took your bed." 

"Are you sure? I wouldn't mind, it's only for tonight after all." 

"It's ok, really." I nod, my mind still on that freakishly amazing kiss I had with Hunter at the carnival. It was so random & out of nowhere, catching me completely off guard. I'm still fighting the urge to jump up & down, to be honest. Hunter kissed me! & said he loves me! "Are you ok?" 

"Huh?" I ask, turning to look see a concerned Hunter. 

"Are you ok? Your face is red." 

"Oh uh.." I put my hand on my cheek as it probably turns into a darker shade of red, thinking of a good lie. "I'm fine I uh, I'm just a little warm." 

"Oh ok." It's been kinda awkward like this since the carnival, making me a little worried. What if Hunter regrets kissing me? What if it was just spur of the moment thing? He might not ever love me, if that's the case. 

"So uh, you didn't bring any luggage huh?" I ask as my lips form a small smirk. 

"Ok ok laugh all you want, but in my defense this was a spur of the moment kinda thing. I wasn't thinking." I wonder if that's how the kiss was... he wasn't thinking. If nothing else happens between us while he's here then that's what it must have been. 

"I'll go ask Dillon if he has any clothes you can borrow for the night?" 

"No it's ok. I don't really think he likes me anyway, if you remember the meeting earlier." 

"Yeah well.. he's just a protective friend," I explain, thinking of what went down earlier. Dillon just sees Hunter as the guy who told me bad news, that broke my heart. I guess it's natural for him to feel that way, but still Hunter's too sweet to intentionally hurt me. 

"Friend? I don't think the way he was looking at you was the way friends look at each other.. he likes you." He frowns a little, as I wonder if Hunter looks at me like a friend or more. I wish I could tell! 

"Whether he likes me or not, he's still a good friend. First guy I met when I moved here, & if it wasn't for him I'd be lost." 

"Well then he must be an ok guy," he sighs, running his hand through his perfect blonde hair. 

"He is, but you don't have anything to worry about." I pause, hoping that he doesn't take that in the wrong way. By 'the wrong way', I mean the totally right way. "I'll just go get some clothes for you to sleep in." 

Walking out the door, I hear him mumble something about how Dillon probably won't help him out. I'm sure he will though, well, I'm hoping.. 

I step in front of the wooden, light green door. Maybe I could just go to the store real quick instead? Sighing, I suck it up & knock on his door nervously. Honestly, my 2 friends don't like each other so things are probably going to be awkward & I will probably get a small talk from Dillon about how Hunter is no good. I know that's the complete opposite though, & that's all that matters. 

"Hey," Dillon says when he opens the door, & leans against the frame. He's wet & shirtless, just wearing a pair of boxers. I take a gulp before I bring my eyes back to his. I admit, I was checking him out. If you could see him right now, you would too. 

"Hey uh, I was wondering if I could borrow some nightwear for tonight, if that's no trouble for you." 

"You need my clothes to sleep in?" He raises an eyebrow. 

"Uhh...well, I need them, yeah." 

"For Hunter, because he's staying at your apartment?" 

"...yeah.." He sighs as he runs a hand through his dark, wet hair, as a couple of water droplets roll down his face. 

"I'll get him something. You wanna come in to sit?" I nod as I walk in to take a seat on his couch as he goes into his room. A moment later he returns with a pair of grey sweatpants. 

"Lot of my night stuff are at the cleaners, so he'll have to just use this." 

"Thanks," I smile as I take the pants from him, noticing that it feels soft as wool. 

"Listen, if he pressures you into doing anything.." 

"Hunter's been my best friend since 2nd grade Dillon. He isn't going to try anything." He nods to my explanation, looking unconvinced, so I get up. 

"Thanks again, I'll return it tomorrow?" He nods once again as he gives me a quick wave, so I return to my place. 

"He gave me something?" Hunter asks, eying the pants. 

"Yeah. His nightclothes are at the cleaners so this is what he had left." 

"That's ok, & that's cool of him. I figured he wouldn't help me." I watch as he takes the clothes & goes to my room to change, silently chuckling about his reaction when I first told him there's no bathroom. That kind of disturbed him a bit. 

"How's it fit?" I ask when he walks out. 

"A bit big by the waist but it's cozy." I nod as I take a seat on the couch, watching through the corner of my eye as he sits next to me. Close enough that I could rest my hand on his knee comfortably, & close enough that I can easily close the distance between our lips. I gulp thinking about the amazing feeling my whole body got when we kissed. Just ask him how he feels about you, I think to myself. But as the silent moments go by, I realize I don't have that kind of courage. 

My phone vibrates in my pocket so I pull it out to see a text from one of my old buddies back home. 

'U may want to check fb. Bailey posted a new photo' I feel my breath hitch as I go on my phone's internet browser to see what she's talking about on facebook. 

On top of the page is a picture of my Dad making out with another woman. 

Tears fill my eyes as I scroll the comments. Sure there are a few calling Bailey out for being a bitch, but others are just mean. 

'This explains why Lexi is such a hoe' 

'Scum must run in the family.' 

"Hey what's wrong?" Hunter asks as he pulls the phone from my face. "Why are you crying?" I shake my head in silence as I point to the screen. After looking at it, his hand quickly clutches in anger. "That little weasel.." He puts the phone down & wraps me in a tight hug as tears continue to fall from my eyes. 

"M-my sister is going to hear about it from kids at her s-school. My mom will a-at work. People will be talking about it," I stutter out. "They're gonna make my family feel s-so bad." 

"I'm so sorry Lexi. This is all my fault." 

"H-how is it you fault? You're not the girl who posted the picture." 

"If I stayed with her, then she wouldn't have posted it. If I just stayed & made her ha-" I put my fingers over his mouth to make him be quiet. 

"You should never have wasted your time with her. She's everything you're not, Hunter. Mean & selfish. You're gonna find the right girl for you someday who'll be perfect for you, I promise." I swallow a lump in my throat, wishing I was that girl. Even if I'm not, I want him to find a good girl that will make him happy. 

He pulls away from the hug to look at me. I know my makeup must be smeared around, so I feel a little bit self conscious right now. 

"I found my perfect girl a long time ago." His head pulls forward along with mine, & not soon enough our lips meet. My eyes instantly flutter closed, enjoying the magic of the kiss. It's calm at first til it turns deep & passionate, all my years of love pulling right through into this moment. Mindlessly, my hands run through his soft hair as his fingers caress my cheeks. 

I love you so much Hunter, if you only knew how little this kiss even describes what I feel about you.