Chapter 31

Dillon's POV:

"I've had it," I say quiety into my cell phone, pacing my living room. "I'm going to use my apartment building key to go into her room & grab her phone to finally talk to him." 

"Is that such a good idea?" Kristy asks from the other line. "I would be pretty upset if you did that to me..." 

"She has to know what's going on with him, & since she won't ask, I'll have to get the answers myself." 

"I guess, but if she catches you, don't even breathe a word about me knowing about this plan!" A chuckle leaves my mouth. I'll just have some fun with her before I promise I won't tell Lexi that she was somehow involved. 

"Nah I'll say it w-" I'm cut off when I hear a banging from her side of the phone. 

"I have to go," she whispers before she hangs up. Questions pile into my head at what's up with her, but I just put my phone into my pocket, noting that it's 11 pm. She should be sleeping, so in about half an hour I'll just sneak into her room with the key, find her phone, & demand answers from her so called loyal boyfriend. 

After 30 minutes of just watching late night television, I grab my flashlight & key, then leave my room. 

Taking a deep breath, I mentally encourage myself to get on with this. Technically, this is illegal, so this could easily land my ass in prison. Biting my tongue a bit too hard, I will myself to put the key in the lock, then turn it. Pushing open the door, I look around to see all the lights are off. Good, so she is sleeping. 

Turning on my flashlight, I scan the area while walking further in, carefully closing the door behind me first. 

A smile grows on my face once I shine the light on the kitchen counter, seeing the phone lie there. Walking over, I pick it up to see that it is still on. Pressing some buttons, I find myself scrolling through her contacts til I find Hunter. 

"Dillon? What the hell are you doing here?" I jump at least 5 feet in the air at the sudden voice. Bringing my eyes & flashlight up, I see Lexi right across the counter, looking at me with a wide eyed gaze. Then I notice the carton of mint ice cream in one hand, & the spoon in the other. 

"Were you sitting on the kitchen floor eating ice cream in the dark?" 

"So I didn't want to waste electricity," she shrugs. "That doesn't explain why you broke into my apartment." Her eyes drift down to the cell phone I'm holding, & they widen. "No, Dillon." 

"Lexi, look at yourself. It's about time you make this call." She gulps, knowing that I'm right. 

"You're right. It's time." I hand her back the phone, watching as her eyes take in his contact name. She takes a few breathes before she presses call & puts it to her ear. I give a nod before I walk over to the couch, not leaving so I can make sure she doesn't chicken out.

Lexi's POV:

"Lexi?" His voice questions through the phone. "What's up?" I take another deep breath. 

"I- I know about the kiss." I can hear him take a sharp breath. 

"Lexi, it didn't mean a thing. It was all a nasty trick, I swear on my life. She wanted a kiss on the cheek so I figured why not, but she turned & grabbed my face between her hands." I find myself blinking a few times, not quite sure what to feel. 

"Really?" I ask quietly. 

"Yes. Lexi, I'm so, so in love with you. Time, distance, or any girl can't change that. Ever." Tears begin to form in my eyes. Happy tears. 

"I love you too," I say, smiling. 

"So are we good now?" 

"Great." He chuckles. Before I can say anything else, the phone is taken from my hands. 

"I just have one question," Dillon says through the phone, hitting a button afterwards. "How come you didn't tell Lexi about the kiss asap?" 

"I was hoping she wouldn't find out & think it meant something when it didn't," Hunter says through speakerphone that Dillon must have turned on. But he sounded kinda quiet, like he was ashamed. 

"She fo-" 

"Dillon," I laugh out. "Everything's good now. Let's stick with that." He gives me a sheepish smile. 

"Well I'll leave you lovebirds be," he announces before walking towards the door. 

"Dillon?" He turns, giving me a quizzical expression. "Thanks," I smile. He returns the smile while giving me a two finger salute, then leaves. Then I remember that I'm talking to Hunter, so I turn speakerphone off & press it to my ear. 

"Hi," I say cheekily. He laughs, & I just imagine him shaking his head in amusement right now. 

"Hey. So, I take it Dillon's why you called?" 

"Well I was going to just ignore the whole kiss thing, but he had enough. He was actually going to steal my phone & yell at you but I was awake," I laugh, & hear him join me. 

"I don't blame him, especially if the tv made the picture look as bad as I imagine they would." 

"I'm glad everything's good now," I say truthfully. 

"Me too. I would love to talk all night with you, but I know it must be pretty late there already. So good night Storm Warning, I love you." 

"I love you too, sweet dreams." 

"Only if you're in them." He hangs up as I feel my cheeks heat up. 

Now suddenly feeling very tired, I attempt to walk to my room in the pitch darkness. I stumble every few feet though.. 

Finally in my bed, my eyes flutter shut, with Hunter still in my mind. I don't know how I got to be so lucky, but I still thank God all the time for him. 

Thank you God for sending me an angel.