Chapter 50

Lexi's POV:

"Back in Florida," Hunter smiles warmly at me. "Sanford, to be precise. We'll be playing at the Barn."

"The Barn? That's an odd name, is it a literal barn?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows together in confusion. Some of the guys laugh, making me frown. Am I that clueless?

"It's this night club type thing," Hunter explains, pulling me even closer to his side with his arm that's over my shoulder. "It's a blast."

"Oh." His fingers rub circles into my arm slowly, making me close my eyes in pleasure. He's got magic fingers, let me tell you.

"So til 6 pm when we have to be there, the day is ours. Anybody wanna do anything fun?" Hunter asks us all. "I can wear a hoodie & sunglasses so nobody reconizes me."

"Well," Matt begins, looking at his cell phone screen. "There's a mini golf place just around the corner. Anyone up for that?"

"Yes! Let's do it," I chirp.

"Your crutches won't get in your way, will they?" Steve asks me, & I shake my head no.

"Well then let's go," Sam grins, getting up along with everyone else. Hunter helps me up gently, being sure that I don't put much pressure on my hurt foot.

--------

"I see how it is, I'm last on the list," I playfully whine as I raise an eyebrow at Devin. He grins back, nodding as he puts down the pencil on the desk in front of us.

"Yup, ladies last, you know." Everybody rolls their eyes, & even though Hunter's wearing sunglasses I bet he does the same.

"Original," Sam comments, walking towards the barrel of clubs. One by one we each get ours, then exit the building to go to the miniture gold course.

Obviously we start at hole 1, which is the easiest one as well. It just goes straight directly to the hole. We all get a hole in one easy, but the next hole is more difficult as it has a turn.

When it gets to be my turn, my tongue sticks out slightly as I prepare myself. Keeping my crutches adjusted under the crooks of my arms, I hit the ball with the club. It barely misses the hole, making me frown.

"Ooh, so close," Devin comments. I stick my tonuge out playfully, a bit bitter as well. We'll see who wins this.

At hole 7, my eyebrows furrow as I feel my cell phone vibrate. Pulling it out, questions of who could be calling fill my head before I slide it open & see my mom calling. Huh, I wonder why the sudden call.

Dillon's POV:

"I'm going to have to go to court against him," Kristy states blankly, staring ahead of her as I lean against the living room wall with my arms crossed over my chest. We have just gotten back from the police station, where Kristy had to spill the details. She looked scared the whole time, but I know it's had to be done.

"If anyone can do it, it's you." Her head turns, & her gaze stares into me, making me squirm uncomfortably. It's like she's staring into my soul.

"How is it you have so much faith in me?" She asks, her eyes searching into mine.

"Because," I begin as I push myself off of the wall to walk over to her. "You're the most damn stubburn ass woman I've ever met. & with that comes fierce determination, & I think you don't want him hurting anyone else the way he's hurt you." Her eyes soften at my words, & a small sigh escapes her lips.

"No one should ever have to face what I did.. to feel how I feel.."

"You're right. No one should, & I love that you're brave enough to try to keep others from facing what you've faced," I explain as I sit on the coffee table in front of her.

"It isn't his fa-" I cut her off from defending him.

"You can't keep defending him. Even though you want to believe he's still the same guy you fell for, he isn't," I pause before speaking again, more softly. "Things happen & people change. There's never anything we can do about it but move on." She nods in agreement & understanding.

"You're right. But I still don't know if I can face him in court. I don't think I can handle that." Without thinking, my hand reaches over to cover hers. She stiffens, her cheeks turning pink, but she makes no move to remove hers.

"I think you'd be surprize how strong you really are," I say quietly, staring into her soft blue gaze. Her lips rise up into a small doubtful smile.

"Guess we'll have to see, now won't we?" I give her a reassuring smile, before moving to sit next to her.

"Let's watch some tv to get your mind off of things," I say as I grab the remote control. Flipping channels, I can't help but notice her cringe whenever I land on a chick flick. Guess they aren't her type.

Finally, I land on Meet the Fockers, which seems to catch her interest. Yes, I love this movie!

---------------

3 movies, about 6 hours, later I smile softly at Kristy's sleeping head on my shoulder. She finally shut down about 40 minutes ago, & with all the recent stress she deserves the needed rest.

I jolt as I hear the tv randomly switch stations. Looking down, I frown as I realize my butt hit the remote control.

My eyes flip up to the screen as I hear an Amber alert. Uh oh, it looks like another minor is missing. I frown, remembering in 5th grade when a girl I knew went missing. Everything got crazy, but it turned out that she just ran away, & forgot to put out her goodbye note. They found her after a week, though.

"Louisiana 15 year old Bella Collins has disappeared yesterday evening.." My eyes widen as I whip my head up at the screen. That name sound way too familiar for my comfort. A gasp escapes my lips as I take in the picture of the young girl on the screen, who resembles Lexi.

My lungs tighten as the news sinks in. Lexi's baby sister is missing.