Chapter 3

I'm at the mall watching as Hunter & this girl talk. I am SO NOT stalking for the record, I just happen to have spotted Hunter & the new bit- I mean girl. I grit my teeth as she gives a flirty giggle & twirls her blonde hair in her finger. I can barely hear what their saying, considering I am hiding behind a drink vending machine.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Hunter." She says smiling, showing some of her sparkling white teeth. "Here hold out your arm." I stretch out farther to see her writing something-probably her phone number-on his wrist, her eyes never leaving his. I sink back into the wall, upset. Yeah I've seen Hunter have enough girlfriends to break my heart. He definetly doesn't like me if he goes out with all these beautiful women.

Don't get me wrong, my feelings for Hunter havn't stopped me from going out with guys. But knowing who I really want to be with keeps the relationships from going anywhere.

I peek over again to see them waving goodbye & separating. I sigh then leave, before he catches me. How awkward would that be? Flashbacks of yesterday at the work picnic come to mind, causing me to smile. It was really fun.

Walking into a clothes store, I scan the place looking for the girls jeans section. I look through them as I try to find a nice pair for a reasonable price. As I hold up a pair to examine, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Ello?" I ask as I turn to face whoever is interupting me. I gulp as I see 1 of Hunter's ex's, who just so happens to be an old friend of mine. She had left for college a couple of years ago, & I had thought I would never see her again. Well I was hoping anyway.

"Bailey?" I look into her green eyes, always seeming so confident in everything she does. Maybe that's how come it was easy for her to ditch me to date Hunter, knowing how I felt about him. They only lasted a couple of months anyway, because she was going to college all the way in california.

"Hey Lexi," she smiles at me, putting her light orange hair behind her ear. I see she's decided to grow it out, it's about to mid back now, & looks like she got some highlights. I remember she used to hate having long hair.

"How was California? I didn't expect to see you here again." I cross my arms over my chest.

"California is the dream! You really shouldn't have stuck around here. Didn't you end up at the community college?" She sneers, making me grit my teeth. My teeth are going to end up in bad shape after today!

"I wasn't 1 to leave my family, they need me here."

"Are you sure that's the ONLY reason you stayed?" Her eyes glare into mine, knowing why else I stayed. Ok so I didn't want to leave Hunter, big deal. He moved to Nashville a couple of years ago but he can't seem to stay away from here, so it's like he has 2 homes. Heck if you do ask him, that's what he'll say.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes. "I stayed for my family."

"As if," she rolls her eyes back. I turn my attention back to the jeans, feeling Bailey's angry glare burning through me. She always hated when you turned your back on her. "Oh well, I know Hunter will be estatic that I'm back." She walks off, leaving me fuming. Who does she think she is to break Hunter's heart then come back to try to take it again? Joke's on her, he's leaving for tour soon enough, & then it will be her he's leaving behind. I feel my heart drop, because he's leaving me too though.

I buy the jeans then leave the store. Looking around for Hunter or Bailey, I go over to the food court to pick up a snack. I grin at my large pretzal & Pepsi as I sit at a chair at a table. This is my idea of a hearty lunch.

"Hey storm warning," Hunter says as he sits across from me. I feel my face light up more seeing him & his favorite blue tee shirt.

"Hey Hayes." He smiles.

"What's up?"

"Nothing just shopping, now chewing on a pretzal. You'll never believe who I ran into." I drop my head dramatically.

"Who?" He laughs. He won't be for long.

"Bailey." He stops laughing, & a face of irritation shows instead.

"What's she doing back?" He growls. I can't help but smile at his reaction, he won't take her back!

"I don't know," I shrug. "She said California is the dream so I wish she would have stayed."

"That makes 2 of us." I guess he's in the anger phase of the breakup, even though it's been a couple of years. I give him a playful glare as he sips my Pepsi, making him smile. "Well you don't want me to be thirsty, do you?"

"I do."

"Ouch, gosh Lexi." I smirk at him. After I finish we leave out the mall together, while I fight the urge to intertwine our fingers. We say our goodbyes & leave to our own cars.

Hunter's POV:

I slam my head against the stering wheel, causing the horn to go off. I peek up shyly, to see an older woman glaring at me. I sheepishly smile & wave but she walks off, rolling her eyes.

Ugh why is that Bailey girl back? She is nothing but trouble. Hard to believe she was Lexi's best friend. But she was. So now Bailey has blackmail on Lexi, so I'm stuck being her little boy toy.

I was hoping when she left for Cali she would STAY in Cali, but I guess I can't get lucky.

Speaking of Bailey, looks like I have a new message from her.

'Hey Huntey guess who's back ;)' I cringe at her nickname for me.

'What do u want Bailey?'

'Wow missed u 2 boo' I cringe once more. I look up to see Lexi driving by through the parking lot to leave, while her face expression is unreadable unlike usual. I put my phone back in my pocket & start the car to go home. If Bailey wants to talk to me, she knows where I live. Sadly.