Chapter 12

Lexi's POV:

I'm glad the boss let me come home for a couple of days, once I explained the situation, excluding Hunter. He was cool with it, which I admire him for. I just got dropped off at my house by a taxi, who picked me up at the airport. As I go inside, I see no one is home. I figured so, because my mom should be at work & Bella should be at school. 

Though I had just lived here less than 3 weeks ago, it feels like it's been a lifetime. I've missed it, but I love Miami. I walk outside, careful to lock the door behind me, to feel a cool breeze hit me & blow my already messy hair. 

I find myself mindlessly walking by Hunter's house. His car isn't there, so I just shrug & keep walking. In less than 3 weeks everything has changed with him. 

Before I can help it, the tears roll down my cheeks. I've missed him like crazy, even though I should be mad at him, I still love him. I wonder if Dad even loved Mom. 

Without thinking, I cross the street. Out of nowhere, a car comes crashing towards me. 

I run right out of the way just in time, & look back to see Bailey, of course. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" She hisses out of her now parked car. 

"Had to see my family," I whimper, quickly remembering everything. A small pity smile falls on her face. 

"Oh. Well, Hunter told me he finally told you about our folks. I am really sorry, I thought he told you years ago." 

"Our folks?" I question. 

"Your dad & my mom.." 

"IT WAS YOUR MOM?!" I scream, startling her. 

"Yeah..." She presses her lips together with a shrug, then drives away. I keep walking til I get to the high school, so I can wait for my sister. School will be out in a few.

"Lexi?" Bella asks, running over to me. 

"Hey!" I smile, excepting her hug. 

"What are you doing back?" My smile falters. 

"I need to tell you something about Dad. You'll hate him after, so if you don't want to know just tell me," I begin as we start to walk home. "But I came because you deserve to know the truth." She looks at me with her mouth slightly ajar. "Mom doesn't know I'm here either, I haven't told her the news yet." 

"Go on with it," she spits out with venom in her voice. I know she's trying to prepare for the worst, & simply trying to toughen herself up in order to handle it.

"Dad...he cheated on Mom." She stops walking, so I quickly embrace her in a hug, feeling the tears fall onto my shirt. 

"He couldn't have!" She yells in my shirt, making it come out muffled. "He wouldn't!" 

"Hunter sent me the picture yesterday," I say, now crying as well. 

"H-how long as he known?" 

"Apparently, some years." 

"How could he just now say it! How could he!" I rub her back, feeling my heart break further. 

"I know, Bells. I know." 

"How could he do it to you," she whispers just barely under her breathe, but I can still hear her loud & clear.

------------------------------------------------ 

I'm currently hugging my mom & sister in the living room, as we all cry together. Luckily, no one has wanted to see the picture. Eventually, we all go our separate ways to go to our rooms. 

I curl up on my plain bed, closing my eyes. There is just a fuzzy green throw blanket for me since mine is in Florida. 

"I'm really sorry about your Dad, girls," Mom says the next morning in the kitchen. Her eyes are red & puffy, & it looks like she didn't get any sleep. 

"We're sorry too," Bella replies. "I just don't get why it took Hunter so long to say anything." 

"Lexi, have you talked to Hunter yet?" Mom asks, causing me to sigh.  

"Nope." 

"Are you going to?" 

"Nope." 

"Well," Mom begins. "You can't avoid him forever. Just go talk to him about this." 

"Why can't I? I live in Florida, he doesn't. & quite frankly I don't see anything to talk about with him." Mom & Bella both roll their eyes, as I leave them to go outside. 

As soon as the morning sun hits me in the face, I regret getting out of bed. My thoughts return to Hunter. Part of me wants to run to him, wanting to feel his arms engulf me in a warm hug, while the other half wants to stay mad at him.

Hunter's Pov:

I lie on my back in bed with my hands on the back of my head, thinking about tonight. I'll be taking Bailey out to some movie, apparently. 

I stretch as I get out of bed. After putting on a tee shirt & jeans, I go downstairs to be greeted by the smell of bacon. 

"Mornin' Mom," I grin as I walk in the kitchen. 

"Hey Hunter," she smiles at me, setting a plate of bacon & eggs in front of me. 

"Thanks." 

"Of course sweetie. Anyway..." She trails off, making me realize she wants something. 

"Yes Mom?" 

"Well your Dad & I were thinking. You & Bailey are back together so why don't you bring her over for dinner tomorrow evening?" The smile on my face drops. I don't know how to tell them that she's blackmailing me into being her boyfriend, so I haven't. 

"Uh, that's very nice of you guys.." 

"It'll give us a good time to catch up." I don't say anything, instead wondering how it'll go. Finally, I decide I can't take it anymore. She doesn't deserve to eat with my family. 

"Actually, let's not if that's ok with you." 

"Are you sure? Why?" She asks, sitting down across from me. 

"I can't stand her," I breathe out. 

"What? Then why are you going out with her again?" My lips press together, not knowing how she'll take the news. She may go hunt Bailey down once I explain things. "Hello?" She snaps her fingers in front of my face, interrupting my thoughts. 

"Well you see..she has this blackmail on Lexi..." I scratch the back of my head, knowing she seriously might go hunt Bailey down. My parents love Lexi to death. 

"& Bailey is making you go out with her, or she'll release this blackmail?" I nod. "That is just horrible." 

"Yeah, it gets worse. The blackmail is a pic of her dad cheating, but I just found out she doesn't know that he cheated so I don't know what to do now." 

"No way! Her dad had cheated? Oh my God." 

"So should I tell her? Or would it hurt her too much?" 

"You're very sweet to consider her feelings Hunter, but she deserves to know."  

"Yeah. But what if she hates me because I knew all these years?" 

"She'll feel hurt & betrayed when you tell her, but I can tell by the way she looks at you she could never hate you." I feel my cheeks heat up at her words. 'By the way she looks at you, she could never hate you'. 

"Thanks Ma," I say as I take my now empty plate to the sink to wash it. I know what I have to do.