Chapter 36

*WARNING: this chapter is a bit cray cray, & contains mild violence that may disturb you if you're sensitive to that. Skip the chap if you wish, as it isn't major to the plot, but it does offer some insight to some characters. Thank you. xx*

Dillon's POV:

My hands tighten against the steering wheel as I drive, perhaps a bit too fast but I don't care. Despite what Lexi said about being fine, I could hear the apprehension in her voice. Something's happened. 

A breath of relief escapes my lips as I barely make it under the yellow light as it turns red. Without thinking, I run a hand through my black hair, hoping to get to Kristy's apartment complex soon. 

10 minutes later, I park into a parking spot right in front of her apartment room. I suppose I could honk to get her attention, but knowing that hard headed girl, she'll just make me come in & fetch her myself. Besides, at this time of the night the neighbors could be sleeping. 

Walking towards the door, I hear a sudden smashing sound. Knitting my eyebrows in confusion, I press my ear to the door to make out any voices. No more than 4 seconds later, a slapping sound can be heard. Without second thought, I push through, not knowing what to expect. 

It sure wasn't THIS! 

In front of my eyes, Kristy is sitting against the wall, her hands covering her face in some sort of protection. They're covered in red blood, her cast included. Instantly I run over to her, unable to see anything else but her sitting in pain.

"Kristy," I whisper as I wrap my arms around her. She flinches, making me pull away. 

"Who the hell are you?" A voice growls from behind. Looking over, I see her boyfriend Jason swaying, clearly drunk. His eyes are bloodshot as he glares down at me. 

"The real question here is who the hell are you to lay a finger on her?" I question as I stand up. 

"Whoooo is heeee?!" He slurs, trying to look behind me to see Kristy, but I'm blocking her. Peeking a glance, I see that she's now picking herself up off the ground. There's usually a hint of sadness in her eyes, but tonight they're tired & lifeless. It breaks my heart. 

"He's just my friend & Lexi's boyfriend. He's just here to update me on the news of her disappearance," she says so calmly, that even I almost believe her. 

"Yaaaadda yaaaadda yaaaaddaa," he moves his hand in a pacman motion. "I'm bored already." He settles down onto the couch, letting his eyes flutter shut. Looking over, Kristy just stares off into the distance. 

"We should wash that off," I whisper, looking at her hands. My eyes meet hers, & I'm caught off guard at how cold & hard they are, but they soften a bit as she nods. Following her to the bathroom, we walk by a shattered beer bottle on the floor, pieces of glass surrounding it. I shake my head, wanting nothing more than going over to the douche & teaching him a thing or two.

It takes a while, but finally every bit of glass is out of her hands. She flinches in pain when I put some disinfectant & then water over her hands, but does nothing to stop me. 

"Shouldn't we call the cops?" I ask as I sit down beside her on the side of the bath tub. She silently shakes her head no. "But.. he threw a bottle at you, damn it! He can't get away with it!" She looks up at me, & that's when I notice the cut on her lip. "He's done worse before, hasn't he?" I growl, feeling anger run through my veins. She doesn't miss this, & almost as if on instinct, moves away as her icy eyes turn fearful. I soften, breathing in as much air as I can."Did he.. is he.." I look at her broken arm. "Was that really from you slipping?" She shakes her head no. "Then why can't we call the cops on him?" 

"I just- I don't want to be responsible for putting him in jail," she says with a shaky voice. "He's the first guy I ever loved." 

"Do you still feel.. that way... about him?" I ask, feeling my heart stop in my chest for an unknown reason. 

"It's just so hard," she says, tears now falling freely from her eyes. "He wasn't always like this. He used to be the best guy in the world." 

"What happened?" She turns to me, & her eyes show for the first time how really hurt she is. How she can never be fixed. 

"We lost our baby."