Chapter 29

Hunter's POV:

A big yawn escapes my lips as I stretch my arms out. Looking over at the hotel alarm clock, I see that it's 9 in the morning. I'm surprised nobody's woken me up to go to rehearsal or something, since we got one more little show at some cafe before we leave Texas. 

Getting out of bed, I look around at the nice room I've been staying in. It isn't some five star hotel, because really, why spend that much money when I'm going to be out performing anyway? 

I go over to the dresser to get some old jeans & put on my Hank Williams Jr merch shirt. Looking in the mirror, I simply brush my fingers through my hair to make it look more presentable. Shrugging, I turn away to just hear a knock on my door. 

"Hey," Dan greets as he walks in before I can answer it. "The show is on at 5 at the Small Tree cafe' downtown. You gotta be there at 4:15 for the sound check. Til then, the day belongs to you, kid." 

"Sounds good to me. Thanks Dan." He nods before leaving. What to do..what to do.. 

"Oh, I don't like getting involved with a client's personal life, but there might be something you want to know about," Dan says calmly as his head peeks back in. 

"Yeah?" I ask, suddenly feeling worried for some reason. 

"There was this thing on you on GAC.. it showed the picture of you & some fan kissing. The host was wondering if there's a new romance brewing between one of country's hottest new artists & a fan." My eyes widen a good couple of sizes as my mouth drops. 

"I- no! That girl tricked me! Oh my gosh, I wonder if Lexi has seen.." 

"You better hope not. The picture made it seem really.. heated.." I face palm. I really hope Lexi doesn't see. Should I tell her? She didn't seem to know anything last night when we talked. It's not even that big of news, so I'm sure she won't hear of it. 

"Just gotta hope," I say, slightly defeated. He pats my shoulder in comfort before leaving once more. Sighing, I go over & drop to my bed. 

Should I just call her? But what if once I tell her, she starts to think it's too much of a risk to be dating a guy touring the country? There's so many things that can happen. No, I'll wait til she says something. I'll act calm about it, & explain that it's no big deal because it didn't mean anything. 

That's a good plan.. right?

Lexi's POV:

Humming to myself, I continue to wipe the table with a wash cloth. Currently, I'm at work. It's only 9:15 am, & I'm already sure it's going to be another long day. Of course, it doesn't help that I didn't get much sleep last night because of you know who being on my mind. 

Letting a yawn slip, my eyes automatically close on their own accord while my hand slowly stops scrubbing. 

"Doesn't look like you got much sleep." A male voice says from awfully close behind. Shutting my mouth & wrenching my eyes back open, I turn around to see one of the two guys yesterday. The one with the gauges. 

"Oh, hello. Uh, here, have a seat at the booth behind this one, the table's still wet." He nods & does what I instruct. 

"Why don't you take a seat," he says, no question in his voice. "Take a load off." 

"I shouldn't really-" 

"Why be difficult, huh?" I don't miss the tone of irritation in his voice, so I do what he says. "Good girl," he smirks. "It doesn't look like you got any sleep. Tough breakup with that uh, Hunter, guy?" I raise an eyebrow curiously. Why does he care? 

"Actually we didn't break up," I smile. Shock takes form on his face. 

"Really? But didn't he cheat on you?" 

"I don't know what happened," I shrug my shoulders. "But I don't care. It is what is. If he breaks up with me for some girl," my eyes go down to the table as I try to push the possibility of that out of my mind. "Then that would hurt like hell. But I know there's nothing that can make me break up with him." A flash of irritation crosses his features before it disappears. 

"Nothing, huh? How noble. Anyway, I'll have a cup of coffee then I'll be on my way." I nod before getting up, wondering what the hell was up with this guy. Before I get far, I feel his hand grab my forearm, his nails slightly digging as his grip squeezes too tightly. I look at him, eyes narrowing. "Just remember, sometimes doing the noble thing means someone gets hurt." The way he says this makes me shiver, which doesn't go unnoticed. He smirks darkly before letting go. I've finally come to the conclusion that I do not like this stranger, not one bit. He's too sketchy.

"It seems like he must have taken a liking to you yesterday," Kristy says while eyeing the guy at his booth as I pour coffee in a to go cup. "Speaking of liking.. have you spoken to Hunter yet?" She asks softly. 

"Hold on, let me go give him the coffee," I say as I begin heading back over to him. But my eyes notice something, making me slow down. There on her wrist is a new looking bruise. She tenses under my gaze, crossing her arms so I can no longer see. Shrugging, I bring the coffee to the dude. 

"Thanks babe," he says cheekily, before he stands up. "I'll be going. I'm sure I'll be seeing you later." Without another glance, he leaves the restaurant. 

Returning to Kristy, I tilt my head to the side. She frowns at my gaze, still keeping her arms crossed over her chest. 

"What?" She finally asks. 

"How'd you get that nasty bruise on your wrist?" 

"Oh that?" She laughs, shaking her head like it's no big deal. "I may or may not having been dancing like an idiot last night & hitting my arm against the wall while getting carried away.." I find a giggle escaping my lips. 

"Only you," I tease. 

"Yeah, anyway. So what's the status between you & Hunter?" Dang it, she didn't forget! 

"We're still together," I say as I examine a nail. 

"Did he explain what happened?" She presses on, & I don't even have to look up from my fingernail staring to know that she's looking at me suspiciously. 

"Nah..." 

"What?! Why the hell not?!" 

"I didn't ask & he didn't mention..." She stares at me intently, like she's taking in every detail. 

"So, you're just going to let him keep on possibly hurting you?" She asks. "I can tell you didn't sleep last night, Lexi. How long are you going to keep this up? You're just going to lie awake at night wondering if he's out with some other girl?" Tears start to form in my eyes, & I have to keep blinking to keep them in. 

"He isn't that kind of guy, Kristy. If he did kiss that girl, I'm sure it was just a one time mistake." 

"You have to call him out on it. He may not know it's a mistake til he realizes he could lose you over it." Thank the good Lord, I see a small family of four walk in so I go over & greet them, still blinking my tears away. 

What the hell am I supposed to do when it feels like my world could crumble down any minute?