Chapter 24

"LEXI!" Hunter's voice breaks my hard panting, & I start to drive again. "WHAT'S WRONG?" 

"I'm ok. Sorry, bout that. A squirrel jumped out of nowhere onto the road." 

"Oh my God Lexi you scared the crap out of me! Don't do that again." 

"But he could have gotten killed!" 

"He? What if it's a girl?" My lips twitch upward as I try to contain a giggle. Oh boy. Or apparently, girl. 

"Fine, he, she, either way it really should be more careful." 

"Speaking of being careful, why are you on your phone while driving anyway?" 

"Because it would be rude not to answer your call?" I hear him sigh through the phone, making me fight bite a cheeky grin. 

"Alright, call me when you get home so I know you got there ok." 

"Alright, will do." 

"Lexi?" 

"Yeah?" I ask, curious. I hope everything's alright, but then again if it wasn't he would have told me earlier right? 

"I love you." My heart thumps in my chest as a big smile grows onto my face. 

"I love you too, Hunter." After a goodbye, we both hang up & I set my phone down in the seat beside me. 

After I talk to Hunter on the phone when I get back to the apartment, I get ready for bed. He's living in Nashville, getting everything completely ready for tour. 

The whole time I get ready, I think about why Kristy could act so strange around Dillon. It seems like she likes him, but doesn't WANT to for some reason. Shrugging it off, I snuggle into bed & decide not to think about it. I'm sure whatever her reasons are, must be good ones. 

---------------------------------------- 

The following morning I walk into work, stifling back a yawn. Its seemed no matter how many times I tossed & turned I couldn't get to sleep last night. 

Hours of work go by when I see Kristy walk in, in her uniform. Bags are under her eyes, showing me she didn't get any sleep either. 

"Hey girl," I greet as she walks by. 

"Heeeyyyy..." she drags out, giving me a small smile. I return the smile, puzzled at her. I wonder why she didn't sleep. 

"Get a good night of sleep?" I joke. She shakes her head, her eyes shutting. I snap my fingers in front of them, making her jolt back awake. "Dang maybe you should just go home to sleep. You seem wore out." 

"I'll be ok, honestly." She grabs a notepad & pen, shooting me a tired smile before she goes to her tables. I suck in a breathe as I shake my head, wondering what's wrong. 

About an hour later I find myself sitting in the back, wiping a small bead of sweat from my forehead. Today has been a busy day to say the least. Looking up, I see Kristy shuffling over, an expression of pure panic etched on her face. 

"Hey can you get this one table for me? I really can't deal with him. I'll owe you forever." Looking up, I see her look over to a table with a guy sitting across from who looks to be his parents. The guy looks around our age, maybe a little older. He has brown hair, a deep 5 o'clock shadow like he hasn't shaved in a week, & he's wearing a Miami Dolphins jersey. But it's his eyes that pull me in. Their dark & haunting, but alluring at once. 

"Yeah I'll get them. Who is he?" I ask, standing up while looking at her expectantly. She shakes her head, keeping her eyes closed tight. 

"Just someone I really don't want to ever deal with ever again." 

"I'll handle him." I walk over to his table, trying to ignore the nagging feeling inside. I get to the table & put on a nice, welcoming smile. He raises an eyebrow, checking me out. 

"Hi, my name is Lexi. What can I get you folks to drink today?" I ask once I hand out the menu's, getting ready to write the drinks down. 

"I'll have sweet tea," the woman says, bringing my attention to her. She's tall & slender, with wavy dark blonde hair, mixed in with some grey, falling to her shoulders. I smile & nod, writing that down. 

"I'll have the same," the man beside her says, & I look up at him before writing down 2x by the order. His dark brown hair is gelled back, also showing some white hair, & he has a pair of round glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. 

"I'll have a beer." I look over to see the final, rough voice speak. His dark eyes look me over, & his lips twist into a smirk once they meet my eyes again. "I was hoping to see Kristy but it's nice to meet you, Lexi," his husky voice says. I offer him a small smile before turning my attention to his parents. 

"I'll bring your drinks right out, & give you guys some time to think over what you want to eat." I turn away to leave. 

"Who was that?" I ask Kristy once I put the last drink on the tray. "He's not a bad looking guy, but gave me the creeps." I look at her as I get ready to go give them their drinks. She shrugs, her gaze not meeting mine so I continue on my way. 

"Here ya are," I say as I put each of their drinks out in front of them. "What can I start you guys off with?" I take their orders then leave, still getting a bad feeling off of the guy. 

"Thanks for coming, have a good day!" I say an hour later, watching with a smile as the parents wave to me & leave. I wonder where the guy is.. 

A pair of arms wander around my waist from the back, making me instantly pull away to give the whoever it is a dirty look. Surprise surprise, it's the guy. 

"Oh don't be that way Lexi," he says, pretending to look hurt. 

"I have a boyfriend," I defend, glaring my hardest at the guy. 

"I have a shoe." My eyebrows furrow together as I look up at him strangely. 

"So?" 

"Sorry, I thought we were listing off things that don't matter." A small gasp escapes my lips as I narrow my eyes at the guy. He gives a dark smirk as he walks towards me, making me take steps back til my back hits the wall. I swallow the lump in my throat as I look up at his towering figure above me. His menacing dark eyes look down at me, a grin sewn on his face. 

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," I say, trying to sound firm. 

"That's not what most girls say to me.." 

"Well, I'm not most girls." 

"Just leave her alone, Jason." Kristy's voice makes me look up to see her, hands on her hips as she glares at the guy in front of me. He takes a step back from me, & a step towards her. 

"I was wondering when you'd show up, babe. I was losing my patience." She sighs as she closes her eyes, before opening them up again to see him a lot closer to her. 

"What do you want Jason?" 

"You," he says as he slinks his arms around her waist. 

"We broke up, 'member?" She asks, looking up at him with an unreadable expression. 

"I know, but I was stupid Kristy. I shouldn't have walked away from us." He says softly as he pushes some of her hair out of her face. I blink as I watch the scene unfold before me, not knowing what to think of it all. 

"No," she says as she shakes her head, trying to step away but his grasp won't loosen. "You should have." 

"Can you leave?" I ask, wanting to cower back when I see his cold, hard eyes land on me as he scowls. Reluctantly he lets her go, whispering something in her ear before he turns my way to leave. I get chills all around my body as his hard eyes don't leave mine til he walks by. When he leaves, it's quiet for a moment before Kristy walks away, getting back to work. I shrug as I do the same, knowing she'll tell me what's up when the time's right.

*I HOPE EACH & EVERYONE OF YOU HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! YOU ALL DESERVE IT. THANKS FOR BEING AMAZING READERS! :'D Love you guys xoxo <3*