Chapter Twenty-One: Hidden Feelings

"How's your foot?" Wolf asked Alexis. "Did you go to the doctor the other day? What did he say?"

"Uhm, it's healing nicely. The doctor thinks I could walk on it soon," Alexis replied.

"That's good."

"But he said that I should still use the leg crutch to be safe."

Wolf nodded, then smiled. Alexis forced herself to smile back.

In reality, Alexis was lying. The doctor had already told her that her foot had healed and she could even walk properly now too, like her sprain never happened. Deep inside, she was scared as to what will happen with her relationship with Wolf but she would never admit it. Instead, she repeatedly told herself that she at least wanted to see Wolf play one game as part of the Beaufort Titans. She convinced herself that maybe, if Wolf got the chance to play in a real game, with the name of the school at stake and with the adrenaline pumping on his veins, he'd think twice about quitting the team. That was their original deal anyway, that Wolf would only stay in the team until her foot healed. And on the realization that so many things were at stake on Alexis' foot getting better, Alexis actually cried when her doctor told her that her foot had healed. The doctor thought she was crying out of happiness but it was really the opposite. And now she had to pretend that her foot was still sprained.

"Just until after the game," Alexis told herself. "I promise I'll tell Wolf the truth after the game."

It's been three days since her check-up with the doctor and game day for the Beaufort Titans was on the following day. Alexis was having a hard time pretending especially so when she had stopped using the leg crutch when she's at home. Besides, she wasn't a liar. She wasn't raised that way and in fact, she was one of the most honest persons because she was raised to be proud of what she had to say.

It was a good thing though, that she and Wolf hardly saw each other lately because the Titans were really taking practice seriously. In fact, Wolf didn't go to the Student Council room as much as he used to but he makes sure that he was able to help Alexis go to the room before going to practice. It made her a bit lonely but she thought it was for the best.

At that moment, she was in the student council room doing the usual paper work. Since she was alone, she removed her leg crutch and had her foot up in a stool.

"Hey, Lex," Elizabeth greeted as she entered the room.

"Hey," Alexis said, looking up from the mountain of paper in front of her. "What are you doing here? Don't you have cheerleading practice?"

"Yeah, but I needed a break. Ria's subbing me for a while," Elizabeth said as she sat down the couch.

"And you decided to go here?" Alexis raised an eyebrow. "I thought you said this place was boring?"

"I need boring right now."

"Are you sure you aren't just hiding?"

Elizabeth didn't respond because Alexis was right. Marco was back and he was once again sticking close to Elizabeth. That and the fact Melissa was also sticking close to Alvin and since they were also in the gym practicing, Elizabeth could see it even if she didn't want to. It was affecting her more than she wanted to admit. So she just sat idly on the couch then a music box caught her eye.

"Why did you brought this here?" Elizabeth asked.

"I was gonna show it to Wolf," Alexis said.

It was a circular white and gold music box, about the size a palm, where a ballerina danced and music played when you open it. It belonged to Alexis' Mama 'and she valued it like a priceless treasure. She brought it with her because she had a conversation with Wolf about it, and she wanted to show it to him. Chandria and Elizabeth knew about it, of course, having seen it in Alexis' room.