Chapter Forty-Eight: Preparations

The cafeteria was still ringing from the cheers and applause of the students who heard Alvin's little announcement. Hope was one also in the cafeteria, standing in one corner and watching the students cheer for the happy couple in the balcony. She was a little confused why they were cheering because she didn't understand what was the big deal.

"What is up with this?" Hope said under her breath. "Why are they fawning over too much?"

Hope was experiencing culture shock on her first day in Beaufort Academy because it was very unlike her old school. In her old school, when their family got rich, everyone was fawning over her and everybody wanted to be her friend.

So when she had to transfer schools, Hope chose Beaufort Academy because she felt like it was where she should be. And she thought that, like in her old school, she'd have no trouble getting friends and everybody would like her.

But she was wrong.

"It's because she's Elizabeth Natividad, and he's Alvin Lopez," she heard someone say from beside her. She didn't realize someone heard her.

When she turned to look, she saw a familiar face and she realized that the guy was in her class.

"You're so clueless, it's not even cute. You should do your research otherwise you won't survive on this school," Marco told her, his eyes glaring up at Alvin.

"Who the hell are you?" Hope said. "And why are you being too cocky?"

Marco laughed, "Marco Palaez, you dumb chick. I am heir to the Palaez Group of Companies. You should be thankful I'm even talking to you."

"Palaez... the owner of the biggest clothing brand in the country?" Hope's eyes widened in surprise.

"Guess you aren't as clueless as I thought," Marco smirked.

"Then... wait... Alvin Lopez... Lopez... the owner of the biggest airline?" Hope gasped.

Marco nodded, "And Elizabeth's family owns the biggest media company in the country. They're like a match made in heaven for their parents and the business world. Big merger will happen soon if they end up marrying each other."

Hope's eyes grew even larger and she now had half a mind to join in the cheering still going on around them. Now she understood why they reacted that way.

"If you want to survive here, better get on the good side of one of them. The Power A.C.E. would be the best choice to keep you protected."

"The Power A.C.E.?" Hope asked. "And why... why won't I fit in here? I'm rich! Rich like everyone else!

"You really think that?" Marco sneered. "You're part of a low class family who hasn't proven anything yet. Piece of advice, you dumb chick. There are only three girls who decide whether you're in or out of the crowd. Alexis Sandoval, the president of the student council; Chandria Santos, the president of the Arts Guild; and Elizabeth Natividad, the captain of Beaufort's pep squad. They are the most beautiful, most popular and richest girls here. All the girls look up to them and if I were you, I'd literally beg those three to be my friends."

"Ho- how would I do that?" Hope stammered.

"Find out on your own. That's all you'll get from me."

Marco was about to leave when Hope said, "Why are you helping me?"

"You think I'm helping you? You're my entertainment from now on. It would be fun to see you struggle in this school," Marco laughed at her. "I'll enjoy watching you go through hell."

Marco left Hope standing in the corner of the cafeteria. Hope looked back up on the balcony, looked at Elizabeth, and remembered how Elizabeth saved her. She frowned for a while, thinking about what Marco just told her and what she should do about it. She knew he was right. And because she was also really stubborn, she made up her mind and decided she would do anything she could. She didn't want to be bullied and she really wanted to stay in that school. She watched Elizabeth and Alvin happily being with each other up in the balcony. She smiled because an idea just popped in her head.