Chapter Six: Doubts

It was 7:10 in the morning and Chandria was still in her room, putting on the little make-up she applied in her face. She was actually moving slower than usual because she wanted to make John wait.

When she finally went down, she found that John was there talking to her parents. And they looked like they were actually having a nice conversation. Chandria cut it off. She felt as if even her parents were getting fooled by John because she practically had to drag him out of her house.

"Aren't you going to eat first?" John asked while she was dragging him out.

"No, I'll just eat at school ot whatever," Chandria answered.

When they arrived in front of John's car, he opened the door for her. Chandria was surprised when she saw that there was a paper bag on the passenger's seat. Chandria could see the logo of a famous coffee shop in it. She looked at John.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," John said, "So you shouldn't skip it."

"How did you know that I wouldn't eat breakfast today?" Chandria asked.

"Gut feeling," John cockily grinned.

"Thanks," Chandria took the paper bag full of food as she got inside the car.

"So, what do you have in mind?" Chandria asked when they were finally on their way to Beaufort Academy.

"I'm not sure. Maybe you can show me a few sketches first? I want something with an edge though, since it's a new season this year," John said.

"Do you want it just in school colors? And anyway, shouldn't we also ask Alvin? He's the captain, right? Does he know about this yet?"

"And also one in white, for practice games. Don't worry about it, we already talked about changing the jersey design before."

"But does he know that I'll be the one designing it?"

They were in a stop light. John looked at her and said, "You're the one I chose. Alvin won't protest on that, I promise."

They stared at each other. John smiled at her. And for the first time, Chandria noticed that he did look good, because for the first time since they met, John wasn't frowning at her or had that I-don't-care look on his face. He was actually smiling like he really meant it. It made Chandria's heart beat faster.

On the other hand, John looked at Chandria and noticed how the sun made her brown hair sparkle. It was also the first time he noticed how deep Chandria's brown eyes were, like she saw the world differently. As he continued to stare at her, he felt like it wouldn't be so bad to just get lost in her eyes.

But their staring was cut short when the car beside John's honked. When John tore his eyes away from Chandria, he noticed that it was one of his Dad's SUV. The window in the passenger's seat rolled down and they saw Wolf glaring at them.

Wolf had gone to Chandria's house to fetch his bestfriend and greet her parents. They were the ones who told him that John already fetched Chandria. The moment Wolf heard that, he knew that something was wrong so he immediately left to follow them.

John also rolled down his window.

"Wolf?" Chandria asked, surprised and confused.

"What the hell are you doing?" Wolf shouted. "Cha, get down from there right now!"

"Heh," John arrogantly said. At the same time, the traffic light turned green. Before Wolf could react any further, John stepped on the gas and accelerated fast.

"John!" Chandria screamed.

Chandria's phone rang. She took it from her bag and saw that Wolf was calling so she immediately answered the call.