Chapter Eighty: Smile

"How is she?" Elizabeth said, with a worried look on her face. She had just arrived in the hospital with Chandria and Alvin. John was by the entrance waiting for them.

"She's still in surgery," John said. "I don't know. They can't tell us anything about her condition yet."

"Who did this?" Chandria asked.

"I don't know..." John replied.

"It's not Paul, is it?" Chandria asked again.

"No, the police was just here and they told us he's still locked up in jail," John said. "So it can't be him."

"But who else would want to harm her?" Elizabeth asked.

"I don't know..." John said.

"Where's Wolf?" Chandria asked.

"He's in front of the surgery room and wouldn't leave," John said. "The police just left and they said they apprehended a possible suspect and they wanted Wolf to ID him but Wolf doesn't want to leave until he knows Alexis' condition."

What happened was that when Alexis lost consciousness, and Wolf was panicking but was trying to stop the bleeding, the police arrived with the ambulance. They brought Alexis and her bodyguard to the nearest hospital and from there, Wolf had asked them to call his house and tell them what happened. John was the only one at home so he came to the hospital immediately. Wolf had since then refused to leave his spot in front of the surgery room where Alexis was being treated and it was John who had to talk to the police and was the one who called their parents and friends to tell them the bad news.

All of them then went to where Wolf was waiting. Chandria went directly to Wolf and sat beside him then immediately put an arm around her best friend. But Wolf was unmoving. He sat there, traces of blood still on his clothes, and he kept looking at his hands as if he could still see the moment when he held Alexis as she lost consciousness.

Elizabeth leaned on the wall. She had become very uneasy because, after all, the last two times she was in the hospital was because someone tried to harm her and now she was there with the possibility of losing a friend.

Alvin, who had never left her side, noticed her uneasiness and saw that she was near tears so he did the only thing he could do. Alvin took Elizabeth's hand.

The pressure of Alvin's hand on her hand seemed to pull Elizabeth out of her uneasiness. She looked at him.

"It'll be okay," Alvin whispered. "She'll pull through this."

Elizabeth nodded and gave him a small smile as they held hands. A few more minutes passed and there was still no news on how she was doing when John learned that her bodyguard didn't make it.

That did it for Wolf. Without any word, he suddenly stood up and started walking away. Chandria was about to follow him but John stopped her.

"Let him go, Chandria," John said. "He needs to be alone right now."

Chandria nodded as she watched Wolf walk away.

Wolf, on the other hand, felt like he was suffocating. He couldn't stand being there, not being able to do anything but wait. He couldn't stand the sympathetic looks Chandria was giving him, or the impatient ones his brother was giving as he glanced at the door.

He was walking around the hospital, and although he didn't notice, people were staring at him because he was covered in blood. He kept wandering around when he noticed a signage pointing to the hospital's chapel and before he knew it, he had followed it and was standing in front of the door leading to the chapel.