Chapter Eight: Surprises

Alvin's phone beeped.

From: John Ford
Gym locker. NOW.

"I have to go, Bee," Alvin said, glad to have an excuse to leave. It wasn't because he didn't want to be with her. It's just that it was painful to be around her when she talked about John like that. He used to think that the most painful thing in the world was seeing his best friend date his one true love. But now, he realized that seeing Elizabeth continue to go after John even after he broke it off with her was a hundred times more painful. But the pain he felt just strengthened his resolve.

"Okay," Elizabeth nodded. "I'll stay here a bit longer."

Alvin left and headed towards the boys' locker room, where he saw that the whole team was present.

"What's this for, Bro?" Alvin asked John.

Alvin sat on a bench when Coach Sam and Wolf entered the locker room.

"I know what you're going to say, John," Coach Sam said. "But Wolf stays."

"I know that, Coach," John said. "In fact, I'm here to invite the whole team to a welcome party for the rookie."

John's announcement shocked everyone. Coach was the first to recover from the shock.

"Then you boys better play it nice. I don't want a repeat of what happened yesterday. Three sanctions mean that you'll be suspended from playing for the season. And since most of you are seniors, please be reminded that this is your last season to play," Coach told them. "Practice is four times a week after your classes. You'll have your Titans jersey tomorrow, Wolf."

"Speaking of jersey, Chandria will be designing our new jersey for this season," John said.

Wolf frowned but decided to ask Chandria about it later instead.

"Fine, fine. As long as it's done before our first game. See you guys later after your class. Practice is 4pm sharp," Coach said before he left.

Alvin stood up and walked up to Wolf. "I haven't properly introduced myself. Alvin Lopez, captain and shooting guard for Beaufort Titans," Alvin extended his hand.

Wolf shook his hand, and the rest of the team did the same. John remained where he was. But when their eyes met ot looked like John was challenging Wolf to another match or maybe even a brawl.

"Don't forget, party in our beach house on Saturday," John said.

"Why are you telling me?" Wolf asked.

"I did say the whole team. Send the word out."

John left and Alvin followed him. They were walking in an empty hallway because everyone was probably in the cafeteria for lunch.

"John," Alvin called. "I'm asking Liz to go with me to the party."

"Go ahead," John said. "You don't have to ask me. We're not even dating anymore."

"I'm not asking. I just want to make things clear."

John stopped walking and looked at him, "Nothing's going on between me and her anymore. Besides, I plan to ask someone else."

"Chandria? John, I don't think that's a good idea."

"What?" John defended himself. "I'm not doing anything wrong."

"Not yet. If you're planning on using her to get revenge on Wolf, then you better –"

"Whatever, man. I'm not butting in your plans of courting Liz or whatever so just stay off my back on this," John cut in as they both walked towards the cafeteria.