Chapter Five: Denial

"No," Wolf said, guessing what Alexis was thinking.

"But, Wolf, it's for charity," Alexis pleaded. "It'll be donated to the Golden Homes, a home for the aged that really needs our help."

"I don't care, Alexis. I'm not doing it." Wolf stood up and wore his shoes and was about to leave but Alexis stood and blocked his way.

"Do you know how many abandoned and neglected old people live there? One hundred and four. If you join the team, you'll be helping one hundred and four people," Alexis pleaded once more.

"My answer is still no."

"Why?"

"I just don't want to play anymore, okay?"

"That's not a valid excuse!"

The door suddenly opened. Chandria had come back from the bathroom. She was shocked to find the two standing up, facing each other closely.

"Uhh, what's going on?" Chandria asked.

"Nothing," Wolf replied. "Aren't we leaving yet?"

"Oh my gosh, Wolf! Are you okay?" Chandria asked, remembering that Wolf passed out.

"Yes," Wolf said.

"Are you okay, Ria?" Alexis asked. "You look like something's bothering you."

"Yeah, something weird just happened," Chandria said. "But anyway, Wolf, Uncle just texted me and said he's out front. The car with your stuff is already on its way to your house and Uncle is here to take you home with him."

"Fine, fine. Thanks. I'm going. Bye," he gave Chandria a quick peck on the cheek and left the room hurriedly.

But before he completely got away, Alexis shouted after him, "I won't give up, Wolf!"

Wolf stopped walking and looked back at Alexis, "Good luck then." He smirked then finally left.

When Wolf arrived in front of the building, he saw his father and half-brother already waiting for him there.

"Wolf," Mr. Paulo called. "John tells me you two already met."

"Yes," Wolf said through gritted teeth, ignoring the sore pain on his jaw.

"I'll leave first, Dad. See you at home," John looked over at Wolf with a smug smile before he got in his black Dodge Challenger and sped away.

Wolf and Mr. Paulo went inside the SUV and drove off. There was silence at first.

"I don't really expect that you and John will get along at first," Mr. Paulo said, finally speaking up. "But I hope you can someday resolve your differences. You're brothers, after all."

Wolf didn't reply and kept staring out the window. Mr. Paulo changed topics and handed Wolf the latest iPhone, and a few credit cards, "And here, it's the key to your new car. It's a black Porsche 911 Targa 4S. You can only drive it after you get your driver's license here. In the meantime, one of my men will drive you wherever you need to go. You can use the other SUV."

"Thanks," Wolf monotonously said, taking the phone, key and credit cards.

They then arrived on the Ford's driveway and Wolf saw the house he would now be living in. It was expectedly huge, with white walls and a red roof. There were large glass windows everywhere and you could see the beautiful designs and antique furniture in every room from the outside unless for those which were heavily curtained. When they entered, they were greeted by Mr. Paulo's wife, Mrs. Devon Ford.

"Wolf," Mrs. Devon greeted him then kissed him on the cheek. She was smiling warmly at him.

Wolf had braced himself for the anger and wrath he was sure his father's wife would send his way so he was surprised with her seemingly warm welcome. He wasn't about to let his guard down though so he hid his surprise behind a stoic facade.