Chapter Fifty: The Substitute

"How is she?" Alexis asked when she and Chandria arrived in the hospital. Wolf and John came with them and they were trailing behind the two girls.

Elizabeth and the rest of the squad were in the waiting lounge of the hospital.

"We're still waiting for the results," Elizabeth said. "But the nurse said she was conscious when they brought her in so I'm hoping it's nothing serious."

"Do you know what happened?" Chandria said. "Was she hit by another car?"

"I'm still not sure," Elizabeth answered. "Only her family's allowed to see her at the moment."

Someone entered the lobby, but it was only Alvin with two people behind him holding up trays of coffee. "I brought coffee for everyone."

"Thanks, Babe," Elizabeth took the cup Alvin handed to her. They both sat on a couch, and Alvin wrapped his arm around her as they waited.

They had to wait for a while until Mia's mother went out and they were finally able to talk to her and find out about what happened to Mia.

"Tita, how's Mia?" Elizabeth asked.

"She's fine, Elizabeth, dear," Mia's Mom said. "She's conscious. But she dislocated her shoulder."

The girls from the pep squad looked worriedly at each other. They all knew that a dislocated shoulder meant that she couldn't do stunts for the pep squad.

"I think you girls better talk to her," Mia's mom said. "While we talk to the police."

"Okay, Tita. Thank you," Elizabeth said before turning to the squad. "I think we should go in small groups. So that we don't overwhelm Mia. Paige, Lex, Ria and me will go first."

Paige was Mia's bestfriend and it was why they went together first. When they went inside Mia's room, they saw Mia was sitting up, her right arm in a cast and a sling, and she had bruises in her face.

"Mia?" Elizabeth called. Mia took one look at them and she burst into tears again. Paige immediately went to her side to comfort her.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Alexis asked she sat on the foot of Mia's bed. Paige stayed on Mia's side, patting her hair softly. Chandria took out some tissue from her purse and handed it to Mia then sat on the bed too while Elizabeth stood on the other side of her bed.

"I... I feel awful..." Mia said in between tears.

There was suddenly a knock on the door. When they looked to see who it was, they saw a police officer along with Mia's father.

"Good evening Ma'am," the policewoman said. "I am the case investigator for your case, PO3 Kate Robles. I am here to ask you some questions."

Mia looked at her father who nodded at her as encouragement. Paige held Mia's left arm.

"Where were you driving from, Ma'am?" PO3 Robles asked.

"I was... I was on my way home from the mall... I was shopping with some friends but then I had to go first because... because I was going to have dinner with my parents..." Mia said.

"Can you tell me what happened while you were driving?" PO3 Robles asked.

"I was just... driving but... then... then... my brakes didn't work. I panicked and then crashed on something... oh God I didn't hit another car did I?" Mia sobbed.

"No, Ma'am, you hit an electric pole," PO3 Robles asked. "How fast were you driving?"

"I was going 40 miles," Mia answered.

"Were you drinking or are you under the influence of drugs?" PO3 Robles asked.

"What?" Mia said, her face in disbelief. "Of course not! I am a cheerleader, I would never degrade my body with drugs and we have a rule! No drinking during the sports fest month!"