Chapter Sixty-Five: Championship

In the blink of an eye, it was Friday. Or otherwise known as the championship game of the Beaufort Titans.

The whole week, the Beaufort Titans practiced so much and so hard that the other students didn't wonder why they didn't see Elizabeth and Alexis together with Wolf and Alvin. 

But John, on the other hand, went to wherever Chandria was every chance he got. He thought that being schoolmates with Chandria was his only advantage so he might as well take advantage with it. He fetched her everyday but he wasn't able to take her home as Chris had taken over that job. Although this pissed John off, he just concentrated during practice to get his mind off things.

On the other hand, Hope was very pleased. She was in the gym the day before the championship. The pep squad's practice just finished but the Titans were still practicing.

Almost all the cheerleaders had gone to their locker room but Hope stayed behind for a bit. She had seen Elizabeth lingering by the door of the gym, looking at Alvin. Of course, Elizabeth missed spending time with him but she understood that this was just a little sacrifice. After tomorrow, she could have Alvin back all for herself again.

Hope smirked as she watched Elizabeth. She was overjoyed because she felt the strain in their relationship so she thought her little picture succeeded on putting a wedge between their relationship.

"It worked out well, huh?" Marco said out of nowhere.

Hope was startled, "Shoot, will you stop doing that? Stop sneaking around and suddenly appearing like that!"

"It's not my fault you're a dumb chick that you didn't notice me."

"Whatever!" Hope rolled her eyes and continued arranging her things instead.

"Is that what you say to the person who helped you? Shouldn't you be thankful?"

"What is your problem with them anyway? Why are you helping me?"

"Because it's fun," Marco shrugged.

"Yeah, right. Just that? You know what, I asked about you. I think it's not fair that you're the only one who has shit against me. You like Elizabeth, don't you?"

"What the fuck are you talking about? A player like me? As if!"

"Yeah, sure," Hope smirked. "Rumor is your father is pressuring you into having one of the Power A.C.E. as your wife or something. And you targeted Liz first, right?"

"So? What's your point?"

"Liz already turned you down, right? Turned you down hard and she's together with Alvin now too. So it got me into thinking. Why, then, have you not switched to the other two? I mean, wouldn't it be easier that way since Ria and Lex aren't in a relationship, right?" Marco glared at her as Hope continued, "But no, you're still hung over Liz. And I could only think of two reasons why. Either you're really an asshole or because you fell in love with her."

Marco laughed out loud, "And your conclusion is the latter? That I fell in love with her? How stupid is that? Maybe I really am just an asshole, ever thought about that?"

"Yeah, except I see the way you look at her. It's the same way as how Alvin looks at her too."

The smirk in Marco's face vanished and then he glanced over to where Elizabeth was standing and watched as she left the gym. Marco's eyes soon fell onto Alvin, who like him, was standing still although their practice was on-going as he was also watching Elizabeth walk away too. Marco laughed but this time it was a desperate laugh, like he realized something sad and crazy at the same time.

"Just be thankful you even have an ally, you dumb chick," Marco said before he walked away.

"Fine, thank you then!" Hope rolled her eyes at him again. Although she thought Marco was crazy, she knew he was right. In this school where she felt everything was only just for show and connections, she knew she'd be an outcast and even be bullied again if her classmates found out her dark past. Marco was the only one who remained consistently mean to her. And although she'd like for him to treat her better, she thought that at least  he wasn't pretentious and was true to her. Although he still called her names, she had learned to fight back. She was glad to have one ally at least. It wasn't a friend like she'd want but then she comforted herself that Marco was uncaring about her past and was even helping her whatever his reason was.