Chapter Fifty-Seven: Sports Fest - Color Fun Run

"Tell me again what happened," Elizabeth told Alvin.

She was sitting up on her bed, clutching the gold trophy the Beaufort Academy pep squad won while her medals laid beside her.

"Again?" Alvin smiled. He was happy that Elizabeth was feeling better already. He was, after all, the one who stayed with her to look after her while she was sick. He was currently seated at the foot of her bed, watching her.

Last night, when Alvin opened the door to Elizabeth's room to tell Hope that she should go with John and Chandria as they were also on their way down, he had seen her fluffing up the pillow beside Elizabeth. When Hope looked up to look at him, he didn't understand why he became a little nervous. It was probably because of the weird, mischievous glint in Hope's eyes but it was only there for a split second, not enough to make Alvin entirely sure what to make of what it was.

"Hope, John and Chandria are leaving if you want to go down with them," Alvin said.

"Okay," Hope nodded then she brushed her fingers against Elizabeth's hair before she left.

There was something sinister with the gesture, and it was very different with how Alvin saw Chandria and Alexis worry about their bestfriend. But it was just a split second, and Hope smiled at him soon after and then gone the next.

Elizabeth's parents arrived a little after Chandria, John and Hope had left. Alvin had volunteered himself to stay with Elizabeth for the night and had even called his parents beforehand to inform them them what happened to Elizabeth minus the Mr. X part. Although Alvin was tired because he kept waking up to check on Elizabeth, he was happy to look after his girlfriend.

"Yes, again," Elizabeth said. "Please?"

"You fainted just before they announced the champion. There was some commotion after that, but it was nothing compared to the panic I felt when I saw you lying unconscious on the floor that day yesterday. And it so happens that you got food poisoning from an apple that I did not send you. So next time, please text me first if you receive something that is supposedly from me."

"Sorry," Elizabeth said apologetically. "But it's not like you haven't done that whole mysterious gift thing before. Remember the tulips you sent me before?"

"Yeah well that was before I even told you what I felt. Now I will gladly shout to the world that I love you so there's no need for that. So please, next time, text me or call me first."

"Okay, okay. I will."

"And what did I tell you? Didn't I tell you to don't push your self too much?"

"Yes, I know that I shouldn't push myself too hard. But it was worth it! We won!"

"Because you won you think it was justified," Alvin shook his head. "At least think about me the next time you do something reckless?"

"I wasn't being reckless! It was for the squad!" Elizabeth pouted. "Besides, aren't you proud that your girlfriend restored the championship to our school?"

"Of course I am. I am very proud of you. But what if it was worse than food poisoning?"

"Relax, Babe. I'm fine now."

"How can I relax when I think you might pull another stunt like this in the future? Babe, I know you. You're stubborn as hell sometimes. I told you that we should've left to get you checked after your turn but you still stayed!"

"But–" Elizabeth started to protest but when she saw the solemn expression on Alvin's face, she stopped.

"It's not just the squad, and Alexis and Chandria now," Alvin said. "I'm here. I just wish you'd remember that I'm here for you too and that I'm practically the one who worries the most about you. So please, please, Babe, take good care of yourself."