Ch. 28:The Strega

A few weeks later

Elijah says,"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

Nik walks into the room and says,"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection. Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

I say,"My history has always been pretty rusty but aren't witches known for like century beyond century."

Elijah replies,"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?"

Klaus asks,"Why does any witch do anything?"

Author's POV

Upstairs in Davina's room, Marcel has just arrived with food for her, but she stands up and screams at him, frightened.

Davina telekinetically throws him against a wall as she yells,"Go away!"

Marcel replies,"Come on. You got to be starving. You haven't eaten since--."

Davina replies,"Since your best friend killed my best friend?"

Marcel replies,"Davina, I'm sorry about what happened to this kid Tim."

Davina replies,"I'm sorry you don't hate Klaus for what he did or want to make him pay."

Marcel replies,"He'll pay for what he did one way or the other, but right now, I just want to make peace with you."

Davina snaps,"Why? So we can be one big happy frankenstein family?"

Natalya's POV

Downstairs in the living room, Klaus and Elijah are making themselves drinks at the bar while they listen to Davina and Marcel fight.

Klaus says sarcastically,"Well, that's going well."

Elijah replies,"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea."

Klaus replies,"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

Elijah says his voice dripping with sarcasm,"Give me a month. I'll get you list."

I reply as I eat a croissant,"Me too."

Klaus sighs,"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass."

I reply,"Hey I take offence to that you British asshat!"

Nik walks out of the room after kissing my temple and I look at Elijah.

Author's POV

Back in Davina's room, Davina glares at Marcel for a moment before she begins vomiting up dirt all over her bed. Marcel begins to panic.

Marcel exclaims in a panic,"Davina, Davina!"

Klaus, who has heard the commotion, enters the room to investigate. Natalya quickly runs in the room pushing her way through.

Klaus asks,"What's with all the racket?"

He stops in his tracks when he sees Davina still throwing up soil.