Chapter 30 - The Broken Button

Storms don't last forever.

I adorned myself in a golden lengha, jewelry, pretty makeup and let my hair loose. Asmat told me she was already at Zara's when I called her. I had to go alone now. It was midnight and I was praying that I won't face uncle Mubashir downstairs else he wouldn't let me go out so late.

In the living room, second floor, Ghazi was typing away on his laptop, while he glanced back and forth at his notebook and the laptop.

"I'm going, would you like to come?"

"No," he chirped, not diverting his attention. I shrugged.

"Arey Musca, you're going to the Mehendi function?" Mami just came out of her room.

I turned around and smiled. "Yeah, would you like to come?"

"No, I was going to sleep, came to check on Aryan, he needs to sleep too." She explained. "Who are you going with?"

"Alone," I beamed, the sweet woman gave me this feeling of smiling for no reason.

"No, that's dangerous." She was shaking her head. "Aryan, go with Musca." She ordered.

"I'm busy, I'm sorry, ask Bhai. He is in the study room." Ghazi didn't even tilt his head up.

"It's alright Mami," I tried to convince her. She had already headed to the study room. I facepalmed and sat beside Ghazi.

"Please come with me, I don't want to go with him!" I begged but to no avail. "I'll give you my car for an entire week."

Still no response, "Okay, for a month, now come on!" and again no response.

Mami and Aaliyan emerged from the room. Aaliyan mumbled to her. "I'll get ready mummy." and ascended the stairs. Mami told me to wait and went to her room.

I sat there for twenty minutes with Ghazi, who seemed so busy like he was inventing a new language. I gritted my teeth at the plotter, he smirked in reply and then yawning he took his things and disappeared.

Aaliyan was nowhere. I was starting to yawn, my feet in the golden heels already aching. I thought not to go but then I felt hurt thinking about all the effort I put into getting ready would be wasted.

With the thought of going to Aaliyan and shouting at him, I got up from the couch and ascended the stairs. I flung open his room's door without knocking. The exciting fragrance of his perfume welcomed me by engulfing my senses. I could not help but take multiple whiffs.

He stood before the mirror, spraying perfume on his neck. He saw me in the mirror and beamed welcomingly.

"Aren't you a girl?" I asked, crossing my arms on my chest.

He turned around, in navy blue Salwar Kameez, his hair set back with gel and black Pakistani traditional shoes - he had my mind working in rewind motion and then forward motion.

Wild thoughts swirled around my mind making me dizzy. If he didn't deceive me and if I was not pretending to be stoic-faced I'd be straddling him! This was my crazy subconscious. I shook my head to clear my mind.

"You tell me," he grinned, the stubble on his face only made him look hotter. "Do I look like a girl to you?"

I took a sharp breath. "You take time getting ready like a girl," I said as he took multiple steps across the room and stood before me.

"Come, we are already late." I turned and took a step forward but got pushed back harshly, the dupatta in my neck almost choking me. Did he just catch my dupatta? I asked myself and turned around in astound. But, to my dismay, my dupatta was stuck in a button on his Kameez.