Chapter 12 - Shopping With Aaliyan

"I love playing ego and insecurity combined." -Jim Carrey

I introduced Sky and Gray to Uncle Mubashir, some of my classmates and acquaintances. Gray got along with them, Sky had been kind of reserved since childhood.

I invited Uncle Mubashir for dinner, but he refused, saying he was busy. He taught our class daily, but I never had time to talk to him after class. He called me and cared enough to ask me about almost everything. I filled him in with every detail - excluding the parts containing that arrogant moron.

Ugh, Sorry, Allah!

"How's Aaliyan?" Uncle's neutral note sent a wave of raw shock through my veins. I prayed my startle wasn't visible to his eyes.

I cleared my throat as my eyes roamed on his expressionless face. "Who?"

"Aaliyan..." He stressed, a glimpse of disappointment coming to his face. "Aaliyan Haider—your neighbor."

I let out a chuckle so fake even people who didn't know me could tell how nervous I was. "Um, I don't know, he must be fine."

"Musca... I heard he drives you here every day." A grim expression now lived on his face. I nervously looked around and let my eyes fixed on the little crowd of my classmates, playing twenty questions with Gray and Sky.

"I guess yes, uh, he must be fine. He is okay, uh, why don't you call him?" I frowned, in reality, at myself for being so nervous that I was slightly shivering.

"I will." Uncle nodded, the right corner of his lips turning up into a smile I thought was sarcastic. I gave him a curt nod in reply and ran to my siblings. We needed to go home.

"Your house is amazing! You live here alone?" Gray threw his bag on the couch and then jumped on it. "I think I will like it here."

"It's my mother's house, she designed it all," I smiled. Sky was looking around. The decoration, ebony furniture, and beautiful paintings hanging on the light peach walls seemed to fascinate her. "Your mom could have made a brilliant interior designer."

"Hm," I nodded.

"What was the whole thing about?" Gray straightened. My body tensed just at the mention of this topic. "Was your mother alive all those years? Why didn't-"

The doorbell rang, interrupting Gray. Relief filled my heart—the only thing I didn't want to talk about was my dead mother.

"I'll be right back."

As soon as I opened the Iron Gate's little door to my house, Aaliyan rushed inside. I was so mad at him, but only the sight of him was enough to melt my heart like a flame melting a candle.

I scolded myself. Be angry at him, Musca!

I slammed the door hard against the Iron Gate, making a heart-shattering sound that startled me. I calmed myself soon enough and pressed him against the gate.

He raised both hands in surrender while his warm, minty breath fanned my face. "Assalam o Alaikum!"

"Walaikum Assalam! How the -"

"Don't start, please!"

"You..." The anger traveling through my bloodstream wouldn't let me think. I huffed to calm myself, giving him a violent shake. "How could you invade my privacy like that? And how did you do it?" I asked him in an inaudible voice, locking my eyes with his unique ones, my heart beat faster now.

"Why do you keep coming so close to me?" He smirked, entirely ignoring my question. "I know I'm irresistible, but Musca... you need to learn how to control yourself."