Chapter 4 - Rejection

"Don't wait for the perfect moment. Take a moment and make it perfect."

I was running late for university; I grabbed an apple from the dining table and rushed towards the car. My first class started in twenty-nine minutes. It'd take almost twenty-five minutes alone to get there if I drove fast.

My life had taken a one-eighty degree turn. Life had always been unpredictable, but I would have never expected to live alone, the way I was, in Pakistan, at my mother's house.

It was not like I didn't like it; the problem was my feelings of liking and disliking my life had gone numb. I let things be. I had never had control over anything in my life, and it always depressed me, but now, I had come to terms with the fact that nothing was ever under human control. It all happened the way it was written in fate, and I was nothing but a puppet dancing the way my strings were pulled.

When I let out a sigh, I felt like I was sighing out the frustration I had held in for too long. I opened the door of my black Mercedes Uncle Mubashir had given me. I sat in the car and shut the door when the doorbell rang, making me groan.

Who might that be? Thinking, I walked to the door and pulled open. My breath hitched at the sight of the man standing in front of me. He threw me a small smile, and my knees weakened. On the sight of that charming gleam in his eyes, all I wanted to do was grab him by his collar and do unspeakable things to him.

Musca! I scolded myself in embarrassment at my thoughts. Get your shit together! Pakistan is not L.A.! Remember what Uncle said!

"I'm here to pick you up, as promised."

He gave me a toothy grin, showing off those perfect teeth. My knees almost gave out on me at the sight of that dimple on his right cheek. He wore a white button-down shirt; the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I drooled, watching the muscles in his forearms. I mentally kicked myself.

Being with him was a real challenge- I had to keep my breathing steady and my head clear of dirty thoughts. I had to make sure I didn't stare at him for over three seconds or look into his eyes and at his ravishing lips. I couldn't talk, knowing my voice would come out all squeaky and awkward. I tried not to breathe through my nose to keep myself from sniffing him like a bitch. If I didn't control my hands, they'd be caressing his cheeks. The list went on and on and on...

What was life without challenges?

Pfft, Musca!

But do I trust him enough to sit in his car?

He's so hot!

Sitting in his car is a big deal. He is a stranger!

He's not a stranger, my subconscious snapped. He was talking to Uncle Mubashir.

I mentally rolled my eyes. What if he's not trustworthy? And I'm not the person to sit in someone else's car!

Shut up. He's hot!

Arghh!

"Are you still here?" He waved his hand in front of my eyes.

"Um, yeah! Let's go!" I offered a silent prayer of thanks when my voice maintained calmness.

I ducked into his car as if my limbs were forced to move by some supernatural being. Damn, I shouldn't be doing this!

I took my face in my hands and turned it towards the window mirror to keep from ogling him. I couldn't keep it there much longer. "Uh, drive a little faster, my first class starts in ten minutes."