Chapter 17 - In Love With Gold

"Live the full life of the mind,

exhilarated by new ideas,

intoxicated by the

romance of the unusual."

                                                  - Ernest Hemingway

Playlist:

Meghan Trainer-I'm gonna love you like

Sia-Helium

Aaliyan's office was big and extremely clean - actually, the cleanest place I had ever seen in my life. I couldn't even find a tiny spot on the glass table. I turned to the wall - also made of glass and smudge-less - watching the beautiful city filled with greenery, the cars passing on the clean and broad roads, and the huge buildings dwarfed in my eyes due to distance.

The office was painted grey and all the other things were white. I wondered if it was already grey or if he had re-painted it grey after meeting me. My lips curled up in a silly grin.

Exactly after an hour later, he walked into his office, with his captivating scent. Aaliyan's face looked flushed, his eyes red-rimmed as he ran his hand ran through his messy brown hair. It made me confused and anxious at the same time. I wanted to ask him what made his mood go foul, but I couldn't muster the courage. It was not the time, I mentally taught myself a lesson of patience.

We left his office. I took a deep breath as we sat in his car. The silence was deafening but I didn't dare to say something. I kept staring outside the window with empty eyes all the while. The weird feeling in my stomach like something bad was going to happen wouldn't let me stay sane.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, making him nod curtly. My stomach dropped, something was not okay and it was making him dull and frustrated. His behavior was driving me nuts.

He stopped the car; his jaw was tight as he freed himself from the prison of the seat belt. His angry stare fixed on me but looking at my face his expressions softened. He threw his coat away in the car and got out immediately. I was getting more worried with each passing second.

It was a lakeside; he had pulled up the car. The weather was pleasant but I suddenly felt cold when I got out of the car. The night very slowly was spreading everywhere around us but the full moon hid in the clouds, raining its light on earth to prove he was present.

I went to Aaliyan's side; hugging his arm. He had a frown on his face that showed his inner turmoil. I cupped his hot cheek that I suspected was because he had a fever.

I turned his face towards me but his gaze didn't meet mine.

"Look me in the eye, Aaliyan!" My voice was barely a whisper. He took a deep breath closing his eyes and opening them, gazing at me with his glassy golden eyes.

"Share it with me." I heard myself saying, after a long moment.

"I can't." He jerked my hand away.

"Why?"

"I don't know." It felt like he wanted to run away from that topic.

It was so cold, inside and out.

There was this big tree. I took Aaliyan's hand in mine and strode towards it. I lay under it and pulled him down so he lay next to me, then took his arm to rest my head upon. I felt warm in the cold, looking at his face and he stared at the cloudy dark sky, with a round moon raining its light on us.