Chapter 22 - Musca, The Housefly

"I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I'll never love you any less than I do, right this second."

                                                          — Kami Garcia

The car's side window was down. I rested my head on my arms looking out at the scenes the car left behind and the scenes that were coming. Opposite to my morning self, I was feeling low in energy and lazy.

I looked at Aaliyan's face he looked deep in thought, grave serious about something. He was like this since he came to pick me up. He only smiled when I said anything.

After spending almost a month without him, I had realized the significance of him in my life. He was dealing with all my problems from the drop and pick service to help me with my projects and assignments.

I didn't know how my fridge got filled with every possible food. Why my kitchen cabinets were never empty of coffee, tea or any spices. Even before going he had filled them with everything so I wouldn't have to worry. He had also promised he'd do all the possible help in my exams. Now as he was back we were going to start studying from tomorrow.

A Santa Claus surrounded by some youngsters with Christmas hats caught my attention. I laughed in surprise and yelled at Aaliyan. "Stop the car!"

"What happened?"

"Stop the car," I was getting impatient.

"Okay, calm down. I am... God! Musca..." he drove the car to a side and stopped. "What? Are you going to throw up? You can't do that on the road... Let's get..."

"Argh Aaliyan, I don't want to puke, no... there was a Santa Claus."

"So?" He raised his eyebrows.

"That was a Santa in Pakistan," I stressed on my words.

"I can get a Santa costume and wear it too." Aaliyan rolled his eyes and his lips turned into a thin line as he started the car again. "In Pakistan Christian community have full rights okay? They celebrate Christmas with zeal and eagerness, so don't act so surprised? Sir Jinnah said..."

I could have sworn Aaliyan's chest became larger as he talked.

"You are free to go to your temples, and you are free to go to your mosques or any other place of worship, in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed — that has nothing to do with the business of the State."

"Yeah yeah," I waved him off, in reality, goosebumps had formed on my skin at his tone. God, Aaliyan had a powerful way of talking. 

Driving for some time, he parked his car. We both got out. Aaliyan took my hand into his making me warm and cherished as we walked on the track that went up to the hill.

"Why are there so many people out today?"

I asked looking around at the people, families, groups of friends, teenagers, couples. It was crowded but the atmosphere was buoyant. I liked being here, hiking with Aaliyan.

"It's Quaid-e-Azam day," Aaliyan rubbed his hands and blew air into them. "A holiday in Pakistan, it's the birthday of Sir Muhammad Ali Jinnah, founder of Pakistan."

"The founder of Pakistan was born on Christmas?"

Aaliyan grinned and nodded. I could have sworn my heart fluttered like a leaf. "So it's a holiday on Christmas in Pakistan?"

"Yes," he shrugged. "It's always holidays at the end of the year, winter holidays, you know."

After a while, we were up on the hill – very little people came this high but Aaliyan and I had come here. It was a little difficult to climb but we had done it. It was cold here. I wrapped my arms around my body. I wouldn't stop shivering. Maybe because we were on height and the chilly wind moved around us.