Chapter 10 - The Date

"You're the love that came without warning; you had my heart before I could say no."

Having a zero amount of interest in eating with Ajmal, yet I was driving to the restaurant. The way Asmat scared me with dating is a taboo thing that proved wrong in a few days as one of my classmates started dating Asmat's companion in the editorial department. I sure had glared at her.

Dating and me, in Pakistan, in my mother's country, wow.

I never thought dating would be allowed in Pakistan. But being here and seeing the university students dating. Being in relationships was news to me. The velocity at my culture was spreading in the east, surprised me. Girls prioritized western clothes over Pakistani clothes and the traditions too. It felt like all the stories and things I heard about Pakistan were a colossal lie. Here so much was like the west.

Pakistan had a tremendous diversity of skin colors that I had noticed in the university, and also variety in language, clothes, culture, and traditions. Until now, I had met a few Sindhi, Balochi, Pukhtoon, Hazara, and Chinese and Arab Turk students, who were here on an exchange program.

It would be a lie saying that I didn't love my university life. I mean, my BBA in American wasn't as exciting and new the way everything here was. And I wasn't attracted to a narcissist who only loved himself.

Shut up, Aaliyan ain't a narcissist. He's just busy!

My subconscious reasoned. I rolled my eyes.

My phone ringing on the dashboard distracted me. Decreasing the volume of the blaring music, without seeing who was calling, I answered the phone.

"You're not home?" Aaliyan's worried voice filled my right ear. Think of the narcissist!

"No," I frowned. Why this concern now?

"Where are you?"

"I'm going on a date with Ajmal Khan," I said, a devilish smirk lingering to my lips. Not letting him say anything, I hung up. I wished for him to be jealous because the thought of a jealous Aaliyan was pleasing. I smiled, my fingers dancing on the steering wheel as I increased pressure on the exhilarator.

Drowned in my thoughts, I parked my car in the lot and walked inside the restaurant. My irritation was growing as I thought about the call I just had. I was angry at Aaliyan Haider for not giving me the attention I was used to.

A waiter led me to my table. It was in the farthest corner near the railing of the dining area under the sky. The light fog covered the dining area making it more fascinating.

People, family, friends, tourists who seemed Asian and European were seated on the brown wooden chairs. Eating from their plates, they chatted and laughed. Enjoying the weather and the magnificent view of the entire city. The shining yellow and blue lights decorated and enhanced the magnificence of the town much more. The city looked too small from where I was seated, but the beautiful view refreshed my soul. The hills surrounding the restaurant lovingly as a caring mother. It gave me a feeling of kingliness like I could do anything.

I had reserved the table the day I asked Ajmal on a date. I didn't know I'd go on this date in a foul mood, but I couldn't have known I would go on a date with Ajmal at all.

I felt glamorous dressed in a gray gown, my hair curled into a bun and enough make-up without overdoing it. My favorite flower-shaped diamond studs decorated my earlobes, and my feet were squeezed into the silver heels that brought out my skin tone.

I ordered a fruit cocktail while I waited for Ajmal to show up. There was a rumor circulating that Ajmal never arrived at a date on time, but who the hell cared? Fuming at myself mentally for coming here, I secretly prayed that something happened to Ajmal and he wouldn't show up.